Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i agree with what everyone else has suggested. the only other thing that i can think of adding is practice setting up the gear once you get it. good luck!!!!
    Hops

Don't forget the guylines for your tarp.

Just got word my bb and bmj shipped yesterday. Super excited, hooray for top entry.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    Spend some time adding knowledge to your kit- if you know some basic knots, firestarting, camp cooking, and Leave No Trace principles, you'll be set for any trip to the piney woods.....
    Definitely worth repeat'n.
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Get a couple of practice campouts to test your gear where you can easily bail if things go wrong and remember to have fun while doing it
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    If it gets below 75 degrees your back is going to be really cold so you are going to need some sort of insulation. Sleeping bags will not work. A closed cell foam pad from most any place that sells camping supplies will get you started. Its a blue roll up pad about 3/8" thick and too narrow wide. There are lots of other things too, but you will be miserable w/o back insulation. A blue pad plus a Thermarest will get me down to about freezing or a little below.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Oops, I see you already have an UQ. I don't have any experience there but it might be a bit much in the summer.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Get a couple of practice campouts to test your gear where you can easily bail if things go wrong and remember to have fun while doing it
    I thought this was worth repeating as well.

My youngest and I both just got our hammock setups a couple of weeks ago. He was gung ho to roll out with some friends and do a three day camp trip in the freezing rain two hours away from home with no backup plan.

Luckily I convinced him that wasn't the best way to go. Our first trip in the hammocks was a resounding success (we were warmer and more comfortable than my other two sons who slept in the tent), but we had a backup plan of an extra tent and/or moving to the car.

Get some comfort and experience with your setup in a "safe" environment before using it in a situation where you have no backup plan.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12