Thread: OK, now what?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL, DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

OK, now what?

Well you guys have me hooked. I have ordered the WBBB, Big Mamajamba, And an UQ. I am wondering what else (setup wise) I need to get to be ready when it gets here. I am going to use my bag for a TQ till I learn a little more. Are there any other items I should get so to be very comfortable and ease of set up?
    Thanks,
    Cecilg

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    snake skins?- keep tarp and/or hammock clean and dry, (if sil-nylon you can then pack them on the outside, =more room in pack)
    KM (who finds them handy for her setup style)

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    for starters, you'll probably need cordage for ridge line and tie outs. i use zing-it. maybe some 1/8" shock cord for pull outs, tie out tensioners.
    also a couple of trees in the backyard to do some testing so you will know what will make your personal hammock experience customized to you.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I added some 1.75mm zing it for guylines and tie-outs, snakeskins from HH, ti-eye stakes from Mountainfitter, and would recommend one of Smokebait's single ridgeline setups for the tarp (www.whoopieslings.com)

Now, if only I can talk someone into buying me a yeti...

Cheers

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't know. It sounds like you have a good setup. I'd let it ride for a bit (and enjoy it!). Go on some trips. I'm sure there will be something nagging at you before too long that you just HAVE to have or that would make your experience just a little bit better.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Agree with NCPatrick. Keep it minimal, add only what you find you need through use and experience.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I agree with NC ans AS .... your set get out and have fun

Oh yeah.....

Trip reports please since i'm on Hiking IR i have to live through others trip reports
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I love what ncpatrick and angrysparrow said. You never know when you'll get something and want to buy the same thing but different.

My only advice, and I'm sure you have one is a sit pad/foot pad. Starting off with the bare essentials myself I never brought along a pad, but since its been my favorite piece of gear. Gossamer gear sells some awesome ccf pads of different thicknesses and legnth that weigh very little that I like. Or wal mart blue pad works great too.
    Last edited by exup; 03-29-2011 at 22:29.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Dude, you need to go get yourself a big can of "suffering." With that gear list, you're not going to know what it's like to DIY your own and then have epic failure in the woods! Instead you're going to be loving that sweet Bbird and tarp. Without the suffering, you won't know how good you got it!

Seriously, I think you're only missing cordage. Spend some time adding knowledge to your kit- if you know some basic knots, firestarting, camp cooking, and Leave No Trace principles, you'll be set for any trip to the piney woods.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL, DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Thanks folks!!! I think I will order the Whoopie slings and the snakeskins. It appears they would be a good addition. As for the stoves and such I think I'm pretty set. I have several stoves as I'm kind of a stove junkie. I do think I will get a new pack though. I do some canoeing and only have a canoe portage pack. I don't have a backpacking pack. The canoe packs are wider and lower to sit in the canoe.
    Again thanks. This is a great place to learn from and you guys are great to help us new ones out.
    Cecilg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast