Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Winter sleep system questions ???

Hi - another newbie to the hammock world suffering from information overload while trying to sort out what might work best for my 2008 NOBO starting in 35 days.

I am trying to figure out a Cold Weather sleep system that will keep my pack weight down as much as possible while keeping my butt off the ground.

I almost pushed the Place Order button on the HH Hyperlight, but I hear that a larger tarp is recommended and I'm not sure about the Nest/No Sniveler combo.

The Speer Hammock with a 8 x10 Cat Tarp and PeaPod seems like a simpler, more flexible system, but doesn't get nearly the hype as the HH/JRB combo.

I put together a "Rough" comparison of several options and would like feedback from those of you who are experienced with hammock technology.

Thank In Advance.

===============================
    JRB Bear Mt Bridge 33oz. $200
    Cat Tarp (10x11) 19oz $120
    Nest Quilt 20oz?? $260
    No Sniveler 21oz $265
    ------- --------
    93oz(+/-) $845
    ================================
    HH Ultralight 31oz $190
    Nest Quilt 20oz?? $260
    No Sniveler 21oz $265
    ---------- --------
    72oz $715
    w/
    --------- -------
    91oz $835
    HH Hyperlight 26oz $230
    Nest Quilt 20oz?? $260
    No Sniveler 21oz $265
    ---------- --------
    67oz $755
    w/
    --------- -------
    91oz $875
    ==============================
    Speer Hammock III v v
    w/bug net v v
    w/Cat Tarp (8x10) 35oz $199
    PeaPod 30* Bag 40oz $335
    -------- ---------
    75oz $535

No one can give you hammock advice without knowing your height and weight. If you are under six ft/180# then the hyperlite should work well. I have a Nest and a Feathered Friends Rock Wren Bag (bottom entry) and I can sleep down to mid twenties with minimal clothing. I would add a thirty inch wide evazote pad (or two if you sleep cold) from Oware or Speer Hammocks. Those together should see you through any temp you'll encounter, and you'll have a bag/pad if you choose to sleep in a shelter. Most here don't use the Hennessy stock tarp, the hammock can be ordered without it, and instead use an aftermarket tarp like the Maccat from OES (Deluxe is my favorite) or the Speer Winter tarp.

If you are leaving in a month you need to get this stuff worked out ASAP. Hammocks have a bit of a learning curve, like parachutes.

Images
    Thanks for reply. I'm 5'11 - 180lbs. And YES - I am very aware that the clock is ticking and I need to get some serious hang time in before Springer.

I have had good luck with my Speer tarp and enjoy the Speer style hammock I made over the HH Expedition it repaced. Speer is an easy company to order from. I've had fast service in the past. For what it is worth, the winter tarp is not much heavier and has the advantage of being able to seal up well. Considering you want to keep weight down I think you've already answered your question with your weight and cost comparisons.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Another vote of approval for the Speer setup. Having a top-loader that you can remove the bugnet from will be very welcome at times. Also, Ed Speer will be happy to answer any questions you have about his products if you call.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Sorry to be redundant, but if you want an easy system with WONDERFUL customer service, I would go with Speer. Ed is very easy to get a hold of, and will help with whatever you need.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

I haven't even recieved my Speer Hammock yet(here tomorrow) but I think this is going to be my "go to" set up. As others have said, light weight, removable bug net, excellent customer service, warmth options, and you get a free hammock camping book! Good luck...
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

Images
    I used my homemade speer for most of my hike. I would not rule out the speer with a NS on bottom and another quilt or your sleeping bag on top.

My preference is torwards top loaders. I have no basis for my next statement other than my small sample size of people I talked to. It seems to me that most people that start with HH and keep hammocking move on to a top loader hammock.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I've never used a pea pod, so this is just a question: You don't need any top quilt with a pea pod to be equivalent to the other systems you are comparing to?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    I've never used a pea pod, so this is just a question: You don't need any top quilt with a pea pod to be equivalent to the other systems you are comparing to?
    Seems I've read that you do need some additional top insulation.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast