Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)

Warm and cold, top and bottom

Hi!

1) I'm new! (new-ish - I lurk a lot here and there.)

2) I couldn't figure out if this had been asked in one of the forums - after guessing search terms for a while and missing, I thought I would just post the question.

I have a HH ultralite backpacker, and though I have not yet camped in it (still playing with hanging it and reading in forums until freezing nights are less likely to turn me into a hikersicle) I am definitely seeking ways to keep warm, as I can't sleep cold. I have a 30 degree mummy bag that was okay in the low 40s - high 30s; I can use it as a quilt, claustrophobia aside, but it's heavy for what it is and packs rather larger than I like.

So, armed with the knowledge that Uncle Sam is sending me funds once my return is processed, I am doing my research. I have my eye on a Rocky Mtn Sniveller/Old Rag Mtn combo, but I also contemplated going for a Hudson River/Old Rag Mtn instead, and just pushing the underquilt aside. My reasoning was that having the bag, the HR, and the ORM means essentially three different weights of cover (four counting a bag liner) that can be combined as necessary depending on the weather conditions. I'm not at all sure I would even want the sniveller and considering just getting two ORMs. I don't tend to like bulky clothing and prefer to layer rather than turn Michelin man. If I get too cold for the layers I'd be in the sack curled up in the quilts anyway. I'm also thinking that I will be throwing one of the quilts on my bed when I'm not out in the sticks with it - making a bag out of a couple of queen sheets to protect the ripstop would be a snap. It would be nice to have two different weights for that as well.

So here we are at the question(s). Which is warmer, top or bottom? By which I mean, if you are in a hammock with nothing to cover top or bottom, and you have a 3 season quilt and 4 season quilt, would it make more sense to put the heavier on the bottom or the top? If I am truly wanting to be warm in spring/fall/waning or waxing winter, and I sleep colder than the average hiker, would it make more sense to have the under/over quilts be the same weight and rely on tucking/untucking to regulate temps in the hammock?

Or am I just being a fussy noob and nitpicking details before I even get on the trail with the hammock? Does this even make sense?

I have the same hammock with a JRB Nest, evazote pads from Oware, and a Feathered Friends Rock Wren Bag. Without the pads and with minimal clothing I can sleep down to the mid twenties.YMMV. If money is tight or you can't decide between bag/quilt make a Jardine style topquilt with one layer of 5oz climashield.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I would say to put the most insulation on the bottom. It's pretty easy to add clothing or extra insulation on top. You don't want to be trying to put on a thicker under quilt in the cold during the middle of the night.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Welcome to the forum ! Whichever one you pick (BTW, I agree with HC4U), make sure you hang it correctly or it wont provide much warmth.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I would say to put the most insulation on the bottom. It's pretty easy to add clothing or extra insulation on top. You don't want to be trying to put on a thicker under quilt in the cold during the middle of the night.
    What he said.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yea, insulate the bottom. If I have my underquilt set right I can get down to about 35 without something on top of me, but without the underquilt, even I freeze no matter what is on top of me. & I have been often refered to as a "Homesick Polar Bear" cause of my tolerance (Preferance) for the cold.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Man I hate being a lemming, buuuuuut put the warmer on the bottom for sure; much easier to adjust the top to stay warm.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    What they all said

I have used a hammock for years but realized this year I never had enough insulation on the bottom. After I properly insulated the bottom, I used a lot less on top.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Thank you for the consensus! I like this answer, as I tend to be claustrophobic and this is what led me toward hammocks and quilts, and away from tents and mummy bags. Piling stuff on the bottom instead of the top will help - I won't wake up feeling like I've been buried alive.

35 without something on top? wow! drink a lot of anti-freeze?

And of course, I found a poll and subsequent thread about loft and how best to arrange quilts for warm results, after I posted. Always happens to me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I find it odd that you are slightly claustrophobic and are still comfortable in a Hennessy. Most people I've talked to that experience claustrophobia say that it is worse in a Hennessy than other hammocks. While I like small dark places personally, I can understand why someone would feel 'trapped' in a Hennessy. Kind of cool that it works for you!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast