HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

PapaSmurf bugnet question

So I am in need of a bugnet to go with my Nano7, and I think this is a really good option. It's going to be very buggy, very soon here. The biggest question I had is this. When measuring for the size needed, does the bug sock go on the outside of the UQ or between it and the hammock? I would think it would go outside the UQ, but I could be wrong. I was also curious how I would go about measuring for this. I know I could email or PM PapaSmurf about this, but I figure if I have this question, I'm sure someone else will too. Maybe this can help out more than just me.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Images
    Not sure how he measures the cut, but it does go on the outside of the UQ, and tapers up the the line. I love mine for my GT Ultra-light.

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Email him from his site, he answered almost every email from me within an hour or two.

http://www.mydiygear.com/
    Rockhound: “Hey, Harry.”
    Harry: “Yeah, Rock?”
    Rockhound: “You know we're sitting on 4 million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and a thing that has two hundred and seventy thousand moving parts, built by the lowest bidder!”

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    The BugSock does fit over the UQ.
    The length is normally determined by adding 4-5" to the length of your ridgeline. This gives you enough length to cover the gathered ends of the hammock, yet not be too baggy.

The depth is normally 53", but I have made them down to 48" for folks that don't need or want the add'l room and want to save a little weight.

An important thing to keep in mind is that when talking socks, or I guess any nets for that matter. The BugSock depth also affects the width when you are in the hammock. If you increase the sag and lay further asym, you are also pulling up the sock on the bottom.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Papa Smurf,
    You bring up a point I have been unable to resolve.
    I want to make a removeable bug net tapered at both ends with a shock cord exit similar to Hangnout's design.

I tried to mock up a patern with Tyvek.
    It does not take too much fabric to go around the hammock and over the ridgeline.
    But if I allow for laying diagonally on a 60" wide gathered end hammock, it seems like I need A LOT of fabric.

I am trying to determine the circumfirance of a tube that will allow a diagonal lay.

54" does that mean a roughley 108" circumfirance of the bug net at its biggest part?
    Is 108" enuf for a diagonal lay on a 60" wide hammock?

Thanks

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    But if I allow for laying diagonally on a 60" wide gathered end hammock, it seems like I need A LOT of fabric.
    Exactly. Then you get into the whole netting touching the ground that folks have discussed elsewhere here.

54" does that mean a roughley 108" circumfirance of the bug net at its biggest part?
    Yes. The materials I normally use are 108" wide Tulle or 54" wide noseeum. This gives you 108" (less the seams). For a Nano or other narrow hammock, you can reduce this dimension a little because the hammock itself doesn't allow much of a diagonal lay.

Is 108" enuf for a diagonal lay on a 60" wide hammock?
    For me it is. Possibly others may share their experiences?
    A few times, I have added extra panels for use with double wide hammocks to allow for more space inside.

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the great input. I'll probably be emailing you in a couple weeks as bug season is coming fast! I have a Nano, and use a 3/4 UQ below it. I wouldn't mind having the bugnet a normal size though, in case I ever wanted to use it with a bigger hammock.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I made a sock for my son out of netting from Joann's (120" wide) it worked well with a drawstring opening. It isn't big enough for me, though.

If you look at Just Jeff's hammock Sock, he shows an additional stripe of material to extend the diameter. This would work for netting as well.
    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html

Just when cutting the diagonal, the curve Papasmurf shows worked better than a 45-degree angle.

I'm not familir with hanginout's design, though I've seen one that used a shock cord around the skirt-end to keep it tight to the hammock. That one looked really nice, but it would need to be large enough to cover the asym lay like you said. That may have a tendancy for the material to lay in wards where it's loose... Maybe you can put in a vertical panel or two on the opposite corners to add more room for head and feet. I imagine a vertical triangle, 36" tall by 12" at the base, sewn in where your feet or head go. Of course, that would be more work, but it would minimize the amount of extra material.

Either way, mine will have some mechanism to tie to the ridgeline so it doesn't slip too far. Maybe loops of velcro...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    John,
    I saw you mention 120" bugnetting in a previous post and thought it was a typo.
    I need to keep my eyes out for that.

120" nylon would be nice too.
    3 1/2 yards, cut in half = two hammocks
    3 1/2 yards, no cut = big tarp.

• + New Posts