Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tarp
    thick plastic
    Is all concrete made the same? as in are there different grades of cement concrete for sturdier uses? I'll go look that up now.
    The possitive friction created by the interaction of two or more energizes us to grow.
    In the rush and noise of life, as you have intervals, step home within yourself and be still.William Penn
    All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit quiet in a room alone...Blaise Pasqal
    A good rest is half the work...Yugoslavian Proverb
    There should be in the soul halls of peace, avenues of leisure, and high porticoes of silence...Jeremy Taylor

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    when we did the carport we used concrete with shreds of fiberglass mixed in for extra strength. We requested this when we ordered the concrete.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenitySeeker View Post
    Thanks neighbor, I will call JULIE and dig deep enough for frost line. MrClean that looks really weak even though it says it holds 500lbs, let me know how sturdy it is...we're heading to cabellas next week anyway, love their keen oxfords. Ours doesn't carry alot in store for hammocks though so I am sure I won't get to see it there.
    Those stands are plenty sturdy, but they are made for spreader bar hammocks like you see in the picture...the geometry is all wrong for gathered end camping hammocks (too long and too low).

In reference to your concrete question, all concrete is not equal...the details are beyond me, but I can tell you this: most people use too much water, and wet concrete is weak concrete. All concrete will, however, form a "bucket" around a wooden post, holding moisture and leading to premature failure. Gravel will drain, and if you pack it properly, is solid as bedrock.

I just built an arbor that spans my drive...it supports my fat self and my hammock just fine. The posts are 5x5, set in sand. The strength of this setup lies in the 2x6 headers that connect the poles.
    Last edited by oldgringo; 04-01-2011 at 04:52.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    when we did the carport we used concrete with shreds of fiberglass mixed in for extra strength. We requested this when we ordered the concrete.
    Fibermesh...good stuff. Same idea as rebar.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Tarp
    thick plastic
    Well I must say you have all saved me some very expensive mistakes, I like doing it well the first time. I will send pics of the finished project...Thanks...
    The possitive friction created by the interaction of two or more energizes us to grow.
    In the rush and noise of life, as you have intervals, step home within yourself and be still.William Penn
    All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit quiet in a room alone...Blaise Pasqal
    A good rest is half the work...Yugoslavian Proverb
    There should be in the soul halls of peace, avenues of leisure, and high porticoes of silence...Jeremy Taylor

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I hung my new (also my first) hammock in the basement tonight when I got home. It's a Warbonnet Black Bird if that matters. I thought I would pass on what I have learned so far.... I was told 13' to 18' was perfect... I'm hanging right at 15' (inside to inside measurement) and I think 6' high would make a near perfect hang. The further you go apart the higher you have to hang on the pole. I'm sure each hammock is a bit different but this should give you a good starting point.

Ski

Hi,

I am new to the forum, but I would like to share my backyard setup. I have suspended my bugnet hammock and tarp between two 4 X 4 treated posts (sunk 4' in concrete) 11' apart.

After reading some of the posts in this topic, I am thinking of extending my distance to 13' between posts, sunk 4' in gravel (6' above ground. Any comments/advice would be welcomed.IMG_20190726_174359124.jpgIMG_20190907_143456212.jpg

Gravel is a far better option than concrete. A crossbar across the top would make it bomb-proof.

advice (cross bar)

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Gravel is a far better option than concrete. A crossbar across the top would make it bomb-proof.
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. Could describe how to add a cross bar . For instance, what do you use as a crossbar (material). I can't quite picture how the setup looks. I imagine it being a pole connecting the two posts at there tops (something like a ridgeline) Could you give more detail on what materials to use for the cross bar. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by kquest; 09-08-2019 at 18:00. Reason: spelling

I'd notch it into the uprights. Probably go with a 2X6. If you want to put caps on the uprights, notch just below the caps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast