Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps

Question OPINION: Your top quilt and why?

Trying to narrow down my choices for a top quilt and I'm having some struggles. Without having seen any of the quilts made by any of our awesome makers here on HF, I need your help. I'm looking for a 3 season quilt, good for a 6'2", 225lb dude. So...

What TQ do you have?
    Why did you choose it?
    If not your favorite, what would you get instead?

I've read a ton of reviews so I know that all of our resident quilt makers here are fantastic, no need to convince me. I just want your honest opinion.

Also, competition is a good thing, so be honest. If you feel strongly one way or the other about a quilt, I would love to hear it! If you have a reason why you would not purchase a certain quilt, post it. I'm sure the manufacturer would love to get the feedback so they can improve. Be nice though.

So, help a brother out and tell me why you love your quilt!

Thanks everyone!

Roll the bones!
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I have the warbonnet 3 season Mamba... love it as it matches its rating of 20*F. Gets a wee bit hot in the summer though which is why I went with a summer top quilt.

To be honest I REALLY like HammockGear's drawstring design for the neck cinch.

Both companies are really awesome to deal with.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm looking for a 3 season quilt, good for a 6'2", 225lb
    I'd buy the biggest one offered.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the JRB Hudson River for 3 season use. I went with JRB because they are more affordable when purchasing them on the sales that they run fairly regularly and the quality is great for the money.

Images
    I'm 6'2". I have the JRB No Sniveler for 20-40F, and Tree To Trail gear IX Light hiker Bedroll for 40F + temps.

The LHBR is only 14oz, and great for Spring/Summer/Fall use. The JRB NS is great for colder temps, and has mulitple uses (serape, UQ, etc...)

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    I have a 3 season Burrow from Hammock Gear as well. Got this TQ though in a trade that I couldn't pass up but I did purchase 2 UQs from them. Great quality but the best plug I would give Hammock Gear is their openness to working with you to make sure you get what you want, what fits you. If you are not happy with it, they are not happy with it. Attention to detail... from the customer, to the quilt, to your review. Its a special feeling when you receive that quilt in the mail. Almost like StormCrow & Thorwren are handing it directly to you. . . pleasant warmth radiating in all senses.

With that said, I also have items from Warbonnet, JRB, and Arrowhead Equipment. No complaints on ANY of those guys either.
    Last edited by Muskrat; 04-01-2011 at 20:50.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I have an owahee tq from arrowhead. I like it, it's true to the rating and then some (had it to 24f with just thin Polypro) and it's lighter than my sleeping bag by a pound, but my synthetic bag compresses smaller and I've taken it into the teens.

So most of the time I carry my bag. I just ordered a summer burrow, which is also lighter than my bag and should compress better. Granted it's rated to 40f, but I have some merino and down sweaters to supplement.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Images
    Mine is not from an HF vendor, but the Golite Ultra 20 quilt. I got it mainly due to a huge sale, could not resist the price. I really like it, though sometimes I think I would like one of the JRB wearable quilts or WB or Hammockgear models even better.

But, it is a good one. I think it might be some what wider in the shoulders (57-59" for the long?) than other quilts, which I like. But I wish it was 1 or 2" longer for making it easier to pull over my head when side sleeping. ( I am 6'1")

I don't think this model is available any more. The very similar 3 season model ( http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...#custy-reviews ) weighs a good 6 oz more. But if most of that weight is extra down, then the new one would be a lot warmer than mine. Which I think is good to 25-30 mostly by itself. But, I don't know what accounts for the extra weight.

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    We do offer very customized dimensions. We're almost unlimited to what you have in mind, and we always like a challenge.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    We do offer very customized dimensions. We're almost unlimited to what you have in mind, and we always like a challenge.
    I concur they will customize and meet your needs.

<happy customer>
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast