DIY Gathered End Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    MEC Guides SN
    Insulation
    Bag, Thermarest
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle

Hi from Ontario

Hi from Ontario! I will be taking my hammock for its first overnighter on a 4 day trip into Algonquin Provincial Park in 3 day's time.

My setup is currently a queen size bedsheet for the hammock, sheetbend knoted to 6mm Mammut ropes on each end with lark's head to pair of descender rings to act as ring buckles for tree straps which I made from MEC 1" climbing webbing with loops I sewed in by hand using 25 lbs test braided poly fishing line. I am clipping the tree straps with karabiners.
    I tested my sewing job on a scrap loop of webbing first hand with a 2 1/2 ton car jack and I am very confident my sewn loops will hold well.

I am using my Eureka winter sleeping bag for top insulation, 1.5" Thermarest for bottom insulation, and 1/4" Evazote pad (half cut off) to keep my sholders off the hammock sides. I also have a thermal fleece sleeping bag liner that I will be zipping around the whole hammock like a cocoon with a hole in the foot-end to let the hammock line pass through.

For my tarp I have a MEC Silnylon Guides tarp which I seamsealed along its only seam, the ridgeline. (though after reading here I see that sealing the ridgeline is not necessary). I am using 5mm Mammut for a continous ridgeline under the tarp, and 3mm guylines.

The forcast is caling for lows of +1 degree Celsius for my 4 night trip so I think I will be warm.

I have tested out the entire setup a few times at home, but have not slept in it yet. I am certainly comfortable in it, I know the bedsheet is a little shorter than most hammocks are, but I still have lots off room at my head and feet.

Preston

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome Preston. There is a bunch of us going canoeing in Algonquin the weekend of the 13th, 14th and 15th. Check out the long thread here. Kind of last minute and I know you are going already but just thought I'd mention it.

Are you backpacking or car camping? I ask because a concern I have is your hammock. It's a great and easy DIY but the reliability might be an issue if you are several Km on the trail and it rips on you. You could go to ground if you have to but also the material would take a while to dry if it accidentally got wet. MEC sells the Portec parachute nylon hammocks. Don't know if it's within your means but it might be something to look into it.

Another thing to watch out for is that nylon webbing stretches. You may find over the course of the night your hammock might get lower and lower which will affect the sag and the feel of your hammock. You may go to sleep all comfy but later wake up with your butt on the ground. Speaking from experience so set up a little higher to compensate.

I hope I'm not offending you. Just some sugestions based on what I have seen and read.

Hope you have a good trip! Let us know how everything works out and take some pics to share. Around here the saying is "pics or it didn't happen"
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Good advice and welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    MEC Guides SN
    Insulation
    Bag, Thermarest
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Thanks Bubba. I am going into the interior via canoe on a 70 km loop. I do indeed have a backup plan, my brother is sleeping in his Eureka 2-man tent which I can move to if needed, as I will be taking my Themarest. I'm hoping it does not come to that though. As far as staying dry I keep all my gear in a waterproof canoe pack, though I am new to the hammocking I am quite experienced in canoe tripping, having done many trips over the years.

I will definately take your advice about the stretching of the nylon, I did not know it stretched so much, so I will make sure I hang a little higher.

I did see the Portec hammocks at MEC, but I didn't give them much though as they said they were a two person hammock and I assumed it was not for me, might be worth a second look before I go. By coincidence I also called a local fabric store today to see if they stock Ripstop Nylon so I could make a gathered-end hammock before I go to replace the bedsheet. Going to do a bit more reading in the DIY forum, but I might make one for my trip. Again, I can go to ground if required no problem.

In tearms of trip photo's, well I am a bit of a photographer, so there will be many photo's as well as video of this trip. I will be making a trip-log and probabbly some Youtube videos when I return from it.

BTW I have a blog I share with my brother of all our previous Algonquin trips you can check out here: http://dawsonbrothersalgonquintrips.blogspot.com/
    This is all obviously pre-hammock stuff, but still might be entertaining.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to HammockForums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by PRESTON View Post
    Thanks Bubba. I am going into the interior via canoe on a 70 km loop. I do indeed have a backup plan, my brother is sleeping in his Eureka 2-man tent which I can move to if needed,
    The best back up plan . . . for the middle of the night . . . baring a total failure . . .

. . . Just tighten it up a little . . .
    Tent . . . . ohhhh . . . No . . . No . . . . no

In tearms of trip photo's, well I am a bit of a photographer,
    I kinda figured by your so far offered photos

Right on . . . don't be shy in posting photos . . . we likes 'em . . . eh!

Oh and welcome . . . hang in there, Eh!
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    HH Xped w/2QZQ#4 and HH ULBA
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenx|7DBurrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/DCs
    welcome from the east coast!!
    Bring a GPS...It's awkward when you have to eat your buddies.

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome from Gadsden,Al. Sounds like a fun trip.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Lots of DIY info for making a hammock around here for sure.

The Portec hammock is a good starter hammock. The ENO Double Nest is the equivalent and very popular model and the extra width allows for a more diagonal and therefore flatter lay. Polyester webbing is the most popular choice for suspension as it does not stretch. Polypropylene stretches a little at first but does not stretch back IIRC.

Have a safe trip!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Hey Preston

Welcome to the forum and to hanging. I am heading up to Algonquin on Thrusday for a 4 day trip as well. As someone else mentioned, another group is heading up the following weekend .... so the park will be getting used to hammocks very soon.

I have a DIY spare that you are more than welcome to try. If you want to PM me and make some arrangements, I can show you what I have. Perhaps a meet at Riverside park Monday or Tuesday? Let me know.

Have a good trip and be safe out there.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast