Blackbird single layer 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat Micro SpinU
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3-Season
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchBnr

From DC to the SHT

Why hello all you hangers out there in hammock land! I'm a total noob to this hammock thing, and a big dork of one at that. I love hiking, but have never had a good nights sleep on the trail, so this is worth a shot. Maybe it'd be a lot cheaper to give a neoair a shot, but I think knots are cool. Yay knots!

Pending vacation time approval from boss women, I'm planning a thru-hike of the SHT in early July. It will be my SHT-ty vacation. I'm aiming for 12 days. Going to be a mix between vacation, spirit walk, and high-mileage. I'd like my minimum to be 25 miles a day, but I also want the option to hang out if I find really cool spots.

So here's my hammock set up so far:
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Hammock Gear Phoenix 3-season UQ
    Whoopie Slings and Straps

Things to get:
    MacCat Micro SpinUL
    Top Quilt: thinking the Summer Burrow
    Smurf's bug sock

This is what I've been able to put together by watching Shug's and ProfessorHammocks videos, and reading through these forums. How'd I do? Should I go with the 3-season TQ, or is the summer one enough. I generally don't go colder than low 30s.

Peace out. Namaste ya'll.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The summer one should be fine for July. There was talk on here a couple weeks ago of some people thru-hiking the SHT in July. So, if you don't want to do it alone, you could probably find some people on here who to tag along. I know a lot of people will be up there around that time that wouldn't mind sharing a trail for a few days. Welcome to HF

Fronkey

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    Ohh ohh!!!! me! me! me!

I was having the same desire (link) for July.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Keep in mind that a few years ago it was 40*F with windchills in the teens in the middle of the afternoon on the 4th of July up here.

I'm not saying you need to bring winter gear or anything, but there is ALWAYS the possibility of some pretty cool temps and winds near/off of Lake Superior. You should be prepared for 3 season type weather.

Of course, it could be in the 90's and muggy as southern Louisiana, too.

Check the forecast a week out or so before you make any decisions. If a front comes through and the winds turn off of the lake, it can get chilly even 10 miles inland.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well you probably wont' go back to ground once you get your set up all tweaked out. Personally I'd go three season. Save your money by not getting the neoair. You are gonna be shocked at the difference a hammock makes. You can't go wrong listening to Shug, he gots a lotsa talent! Welcome to the addiction!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts