Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVhammockmaker View Post
    My dog is more likely to bark at noises or smells during the night when he's sleeping on the ground under a tarp or in his dog hammock. In a tent he's cut off from the outside enough that he's likely to be quieter. I've seen posts from others that had the same reactions from their dogs, but dogs are individuals. YMMV. At Trail Days in Damascus last year my dog voiced grave concerns about late night revelers. In popular areas like Dolly Sods, WV, I try to camp several hundred feet off of trails and away from regularly used campsites. This has seemed to work, but then he may just be growing up.
    David
    This points out the biggest issue with camping with dogs. Every dog is different and unlike people they can't tell you what they would preffer. So you need to take your dog out on overnighters to see what works for them and how they act. I wouldn't commit to a gear purchase for the dog until you know how they preffer to sleep. If you spend a lot of money on a small tent, and they are like my dog then you wasted the money. Same for if you buy them their own tarp and they want to be enclosed.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    This points out the biggest issue with camping with dogs. Every dog is different and unlike people they can't tell you what they would preffer. So you need to take your dog out on overnighters to see what works for them and how they act. I wouldn't commit to a gear purchase for the dog until you know how they preffer to sleep. If you spend a lot of money on a small tent, and they are like my dog then you wasted the money. Same for if you buy them their own tarp and they want to be enclosed.
    Exactly. I've spent enough time with my dog in the woods to know that she sleeps better and is less restless when the flaps are closed and she can't see things. If she hears something unusual she may perk up and listen intently for a few minutes, but she doesn't really bark or get stirred up at everything that she hears. I can only guess she prefers to take the "out of sight, out of mind" approach. So, in that case, I know this tent would work for her. I actually got it yesterday, set it up inside and she jumped right in and went to sleep.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I have three dogs. They weigh 14, 55 and 75 pounds respectively. I backpack will all of them ( but only one at a time). All three of them have different preferences.

The little one always hops in the hammock with me. She really like the opening on my No Sniveler. She sleeps on top of me and pokes her nose out the head opening.

The 55 pound dog has a short coat. When it's above 40 degrees or so, she sleeps under my hammock on my sit pad with my pack as a pillow. When it gets cooler, she too hops in the hammock. At 55 pounds, she is NOT going to sleep on my lap. I just move off to the side and try not to shift too much. She leaves her nose outside my OQ. (Terribly considerate of her not to wet out my down with doggie condensation.)

My 75 pound dog is a husky-shepherd mix. The only time I have seen her not panting is when it gets below 20 degrees. She just sleeps on my sit pad like the 55 pound dog. She's been in the hammock, but I think it's too hot for her. ( Although she probably would add 50 degrees of insulation to my hammock.)

I always have a tarp set up, and they all know when I get in the hammock it's bed time. If I'm not carrying a tent and setting one up for me, the dogs aren't getting one either. If you get them used to a pet tent or some special set up, be prepared to dole that out very time. Else, they will be out of their element. I would hate to be cold and tired enough where I can barely get my gear set up while still needing to pitch a pet tent. My dogs were all antsy the first couple of times I took them out. Basically, they became comfortable when they sensed I was comfortable. If you're antsy or stir often while you sleep, they feed off of that and respond in kind.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    As we can all see, it's a matter of preference and there will probably never be a consensus. All of our dogs are different... we just do whatever makes them comfortable.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I take my dog along with me bc my wife will not feed it while I am gone. She sleeps in the hammock with me in my sleeping bag to help keep my feet warm. It helps that she is a sub 15# dachshund.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I don't have a dog now, but what about a separate hammock tied to the same head tree as yours? I know people use that setup sometimes for spouses or kids. Seems like it would let you stay in contact with the dog and keep him warm and dry without driving you bonkers.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    will he sleep in those boot things? otherwise I am thinking the claws and the ripstop will come to grief..

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456