Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Jacks R BetterJeff's Gear Hammock/Pack Cover

Evening Folks:

This item came in this week and I have been playing around with it. First let me say that it is very well made and has a number of useful applications for which it can be used.

Seeing how the "gear hammock" application attaches both at the head (plenty strong) and the edge of the Hennessey hammock bungee tie out point (probably weak); I wondered how the weight transfer would take place if you...say put a 30 pack into it? It seems to me that at best it would be a 50-50 split...at worst more of the weight would be on the tie out...and it would tear and/or pull out.

Has anyone played around with the gear hammock using a scale to see where the weight transfer takes place?

If I had access to a couple of fishing scales, I would do the experiment myself...but unfortunately, I do not.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post
    Evening Folks:

This item came in this week and I have been playing around with it. First let me say that it is very well made and has a number of useful applications for which it can be used.

Seeing how the "gear hammock" application attaches both at the head (plenty strong) and the edge of the Hennessey hammock bungee tie out point (probably weak); I wondered how the weight transfer would take place if you...say put a 30 pack into it? It seems to me that at best it would be a 50-50 split...at worst more of the weight would be on the tie out...and it would tear and/or pull out.

Has anyone played around with the gear hammock using a scale to see where the weight transfer takes place?

If I had access to a couple of fishing scales, I would do the experiment myself...but unfortunately, I do not.
    Is this a trick question?

Where do you get a 30 pound pack after you hand the hammock, tarp TQ and UQ...Hang the bear bag... Hang water bottles/bladders for gravity filter or access in camp...put clothes bag in hammock as pillow and camp shoes under the hammock for ease of use for mid night trip...The pack is empty, less the first aide bag, personal ditty bag, rain jacket and perhaps dirty sock...probably rinsed and hung to dry anyway...oh and many leave the pot and stove out for a quick pot of coffee lest it bang into their side.

Point is... most folks don't put more than a couple pounds in a GH/PC...Those convienence items you want to reach in the hammock...Many even hang the empty pack in the hammock suspension (further wind block).

Your question on weight transfer is good though for say 4-5 pounds I would expect it to settle in the middle if the tie out point is queal height from the ground as the end of the hammock itself...Realize the answers will differ from an empty hammock to a loaded hammock. (Grizz knows both of these answers.)

FWIW if one one wants to eliminate the side bump or eliminate the side tie stress some have used the technique of using a hiking pole staked out to the side for the second GH/PC suspension point

Pan
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 04-03-2011 at 15:49.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Multi-use

I just used mine the first time about 2 weeks ago. It got a real workout as a pack cover when we got caught in a hailstorm (between pea and marble sized). I basically had to take cover under some bushes and squat and lean forward to let the pack take the beating instead of my head. Everything stayed dry!!

Next I used it in camp for my mostly empty pack, some cooking gear, and extra clothes. Most everything else ended up elsewhere (food bag, UQ, TQ, etc) as mentioned in the previous post. I just sit my boots on the ground directly under my hammock so they're easy.

I clipped the upper and lower carabiners together. The top one went at the foot end over my suspension and the bottom just swung free. I tried clipping the bottom to my side tieout but even with the light weight I didn't really like how it pulled the side in and bumped against my feet. I may add an additional cord to and run to the head of the hammock just to keep this setup pulled away from the tarp edge in the case of a hard rain. So far so good though.

At first I balked a little at the price and I wondered how well it would work. After using now I believe it's money well spent. The extra loops and clips means I have several attachment options when used as a pack cover instead of just the drawstring.

I went for the bright orange so it's not exactly stealthy but that's by design. I already used it as a signaling device on this first trip to alert the hikers behind that I'd taken a side trail. I'd say it's almost impossible to miss even in heavy brush. The only thing that would make it better would be a reversible orange/green model.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Im going to get one of these this week. not to hijack but i was wondering if I have a 3100 CI pack do i really need the large? or can I get the small?

• + New Posts