Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Senior Member MedicineMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Roan Mountain,TN
    Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Posts
    5,611
    Images
    76

    dont think it will be a problem

    we've hung every other week in the Smokys for the last 8 weeks.
    But since its the 'busy' season we've been very legit (mostly, we did stealt once near the Cataloochee Divide) and been at the real
    campsites, even some that required res. which we had.
    Now I have to say we have only seen one ranger, this last weekends hike at the trailhead near roadtonowhere and she was on day hike patrol.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,741
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Then there is the gray area; hanging inside the shelters. Pretty sure this is technically illegal since there are signs in the shelters telling you not to set-up your tent in the shelters. While not a tent, I think it would be a lame argument to make to a Ranger.
    One could argue that a hammock and tarp is equivalent to a tent and a hammock alone is equivalent to a sleeping bag. "I'm not setting up my "tent-equivalent" in the shelter. I'm setting up my "sleeping bag equivalent." I think that's reasonable.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  3. #23
    QiWiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB; IX
    Suspension
    Whoopi, toggle
    Posts
    519

    GSMNP shelter strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    One could argue that a hammock and tarp is equivalent to a tent and a hammock alone is equivalent to a sleeping bag. "I'm not setting up my "tent-equivalent" in the shelter. I'm setting up my "sleeping bag equivalent." I think that's reasonable.
    I would also use this argument as a defense against criticism of in-shelter hanging. If not enough room to hang in shelter without disturbing other guests, then I would define the shelter as "full" and hang "in the vicinity" outside. I'd be very surprised if this did not work to allow hanging without bringing a separate pad, etc, at least 99% of the time. I've noticed that it only takes a few hikers to "fill" a shelter
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

    The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

  4. #24
    Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Waldorf, MD
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra w/drs
    Insulation
    EE rev/LLG/DIY
    Suspension
    Beetles/Straps/MSH
    Posts
    571
    Images
    4
    Backcountry Rules and Regulations
    Reservations and permits are required for all overnight stays in the backcountry. To make reservations, please visit the backcountry reservation website.

    Backpackers and hikers are expected to follow all park regulations. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $5,000 per violation and/or 6 months in jail. In addition to the regulations listed on the information page of the backcountry reservation website, the list below contains other park regulations particularly relevant to backpackers and hikers.

    https://www.nps.gov/grsm/

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,558
    Yep, hammocks still allowed.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

  6. #26
    Senior Member jeff-oh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    10.5' open or Grand Trunk w/bug net
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ- Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    UCR's/Whoopies
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Backcountry Rules and Regulations
    Reservations and permits are required for all overnight stays in the backcountry. To make reservations, please visit the backcountry reservation website.

    Backpackers and hikers are expected to follow all park regulations. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $5,000 per violation and/or 6 months in jail. In addition to the regulations listed on the information page of the backcountry reservation website, the list below contains other park regulations particularly relevant to backpackers and hikers.

    https://www.nps.gov/grsm/
    Here is the relevant parts...
    General Backcountry Regulations
    1. Camping is permitted only at designated backcountry campsites and shelters.

    2. You may not stay at any backcountry campsite for more than 3 consecutive nights. You may not stay consecutive nights at campsite 113 or at any shelter.

    8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

    13. Carving into or defacing trees, signs, shelters or other backcountry features is illegal.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Waldorf, MD
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra w/drs
    Insulation
    EE rev/LLG/DIY
    Suspension
    Beetles/Straps/MSH
    Posts
    571
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Here is the relevant parts...
    General Backcountry Regulations
    1. Camping is permitted only at designated backcountry campsites and shelters.

    2. You may not stay at any backcountry campsite for more than 3 consecutive nights. You may not stay consecutive nights at campsite 113 or at any shelter.

    8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

    13. Carving into or defacing trees, signs, shelters or other backcountry features is illegal.
    Can this be interpreted to mean that one can't just hammock camp where one wishes, even if a particular designated camping area is already full of other campers? I have never been to this park, but it seems a lot more restrictive than Shenandoah National Park back country rules.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Can this be interpreted to mean that one can't just hammock camp where one wishes, even if a particular designated camping area is already full of other campers? I have never been to this park, but it seems a lot more restrictive than Shenandoah National Park back country rules.
    It is more restrictive. In the Smokies, you camp at designated backcountry campsites, while in Shenandoah you practice dispersed camping. You need a backcountry permit from GSMNP to camp and you have to specify your dates and sites. Each site has a defined capacity, and when that capacity is reached you are unable to book it. But the campsites are mostly designated areas in the woods with some fire rings, bear cables, and loosely defined camping area, as opposed to tent pads and well defined sites, so you can always work a hammock in.

    For $4/night and no entry fee, it is the best deal in National Parks camping that I'm aware of.

    https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

  9. #29
    Senior Member Shrewd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    220
    I hammocked the Smokies during my thru.

    Picked up my neoair at Fontana - had to use it two nights in shelters. The rest of the time they were close enough to full to set up (unless the weather is so bad you yearn for the shelter...it happens).

    Once a ranger even came in and said that it was full enough and let us set up nearby.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    WV / TN
    Hammock
    Blackbird XLC Double Layer
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki 30 degree UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Posts
    21
    Just a comment I thought may be useful about why the feeling of restriction...

    The national parks are established as preserves in many ways. And frankly GSMNP is closer to most of the population and thus is heavily visited park so they try to minimize our impact on it.

Similar Threads

  1. Hanging in the Smokies?
    By Ashman in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 10:21
  2. VIDEO:Blue Ridge Pkwy Great Smokies NP
    By MedicineMan in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 07:22
  3. hanging in the smokies?
    By stevebo in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 22:03
  4. Hanging in the Smokies on the AT
    By Beaudetious in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2010, 08:45
  5. Had a great time on our first "official" hang
    By leeinmemphis in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 20:55

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •