Images

Just what I needed, another hammock

So, I love my GT Ultralight. The simple gathered end hammock with removable bug net works very well for me. Except...as it seems with all gear there's always one little thing (usually wishing it were lighter) that I'd change.

My pack is frameless, and uses a CCF pad for support. Since I carry the pad, I want to use it. Sleeping on a pad in a hammock is a real PITA as I am a restless sleeper. The pad is also a nice combo for backpacking and my 3/4 UQ. Keeps things light, and somewhat simple.

I was wishing there was an easier way for me to use my CCF pad that wasn't such a PITA when I tossed in my sleep. I thought of the double layered hammocks... and how nice it would be to put the pad in the middle there and not worry about it sliding around when I turned.... I thought some more... and a little more.... then....

I just purchased a Traveler DL 1.1 hammock. It's a little heavier than my GT U, but I think I'll just possibly sleep better and get better use out of the pad and 3/4 UQ set up.

I also have a HH Explorer Ultralight.... so this makes hammock #3.

Wonder what I'll buy next! HA! Nice to have options when I pack out!!!

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    So, I love my GT Ultralight. The simple gathered end hammock with removable bug net works very well for me. Except...as it seems with all gear there's always one little thing (usually wishing it were lighter) that I'd change.

My pack is frameless, and uses a CCF pad for support. Since I carry the pad, I want to use it. Sleeping on a pad in a hammock is a real PITA as I am a restless sleeper. The pad is also a nice combo for backpacking and my 3/4 UQ. Keeps things light, and somewhat simple.

I was wishing there was an easier way for me to use my CCF pad that wasn't such a PITA when I tossed in my sleep. I thought of the double layered hammocks... and how nice it would be to put the pad in the middle there and not worry about it sliding around when I turned.... I thought some more... and a little more.... then....

I just purchased a Traveler DL 1.1 hammock. It's a little heavier than my GT U, but I think I'll just possibly sleep better and get better use out of the pad and 3/4 UQ set up.

I also have a HH Explorer Ultralight.... so this makes hammock #3.

Wonder what I'll buy next! HA! Nice to have options when I pack out!!!
    I know you want to use the Traveler DL, but I will offer this as a solution. With a 3/4 UQ you only need insulation for your legs and feet. I use one of THESE for my pad just under my legs and feet. Folds small and is rigid enough when folded to work as a "pack frame" for my frameless pack. Also works as a great sit pad. Wt = 2.4 oz.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    I know you want to use the Traveler DL, but I will offer this as a solution. With a 3/4 UQ you only need insulation for your legs and feet. I use one of THESE for my pad just under my legs and feet. Folds small and is rigid enough when folded to work as a "pack frame" for my frameless pack. Also works as a great sit pad. Wt = 2.4 oz.
    -Mark
    I have the GG pad, and kicked it out of the hammock several times last weekend. The whole "restless sleeper" thing really makes pads difficult. I went the the DL Traveler as a means to make the pad work double for me. Pack frame and hammock insulation. I'll still be around 12 lb base weight with this set up. Happy with that!

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    I have the GG pad, and kicked it out of the hammock several times last weekend. The whole "restless sleeper" thing really makes pads difficult. I went the the DL Traveler as a means to make the pad work double for me. Pack frame and hammock insulation. I'll still be around 12 lb base weight with this set up. Happy with that!
    Wow! "kicked it out of the hammock" You ARE a restless sleeper. Well, then the DL should be great for you. And if you are camped in areas with mosquitoes they will have a hard time biting you through the DL hammock. Good luck!

-Mark

P.S. - How do you like your z-pack cuben tarp? I have one on order.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    The whole "restless sleeper" thing really makes pads difficult.
    Heck, I'll fix that. you just go out and gain 150-165 pounds THEN when you get to where you can get in the hammock you'll flop in there and stay in one place.

Getting out becomes the problem then.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    P.S. - How do you like your z-pack cuben tarp? I have one on order.
    Mine is still on order. Should be here next week, I'm hoping. As I am an optimist, I will say that I LOVE IT! :-)

Restless sleep doesn't even come close to describing me. One of the reasons I use a hammock, and stay out of shelters. Don't want to kick anyone!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use a wallyworld blue pad in my BB double and while it does shift a little, its not enough to be problem for me.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts