This is the first hang out in the woods. I need to change the set up I think. The first issue is the trees are too close. I didn't have much room for adjustments. Comments?

The second issue is the tarp. I don't think I pitched it high enough. The hammock was set high enough to be a "chair", as described in the directions and video, but the tarp was right against the netting on the hammock - this caused an issue with condensation through the night.

The third issue is my sleeping pads. I had one CCF on the bottom and an inflatable Therm-A-Rest Trail Lite Reg. on top (between the hammock layers). Staying on the pads was a pain through the night. I had to adjust everything about 3 times - and my main concern was staying on the pads all night. It went down below freezing and every time I was off the pad I felt it - even in a 0deg bag.

Now, on to the doors. I forgot the directions to all of this when I left so I went by the seat of my pants and rigged it. The directions say the GRAY tab for the doors is to be on the bottom and the black one on top. In the pictures you will note I had the gray tab on top. I looked at this for a minute and thought it was the wrong way to set the doors up so I moved one and experimented. I couldn't get the pitch any better than I had it originally so I just left it. Can any of you offer suggestions as to what I did wrong and what I can improve on? When I set the tarp up last night I had it higher off the ground. I changed it just before I went to bed in case it started raining and blowing - I wanted to keep the wind driven rain out from under the tarp/my gear underneath.

I had a 15' length of chord running for the ridgeline on the tarp and there was a few feet on either end to work with. Should I forget the "ridgeline" approach and cut that chord in half - then attach to each end of the tarp (the single ring below)?

I also had my back aching all night. I don't think I had the hammock tight enough. The ridgeline was pretty tight but I felt like I was curved too much and there was too much pressure on my upper back/neck. I think I need to get a full-coverage quilt and forget the pads - that way I don't have to worry about staying on top of the pads so I don't freeze my balls off.

Thanks for reading through and I'd appreciate any "critiques"

Can you see my chords? Cool stuff.

We did find another great use of these tarps - they make GREAT shelters in the rain so we can prepare dinner. No animals to worry about where we were so the "smells" aren't an issue. I am going to get a Superfly strictly for this purpose. The tarp rigged between a couple of trees and the ends inclosed is the greatest addition to our group trips since sliced bread. We've used the old-school tarp pitched as a lean-to approach before but it doesn't hold a candle to these tarps and doors. With my hammock in there my buddy and I had enough space, but for longer trek's with more people we need a separate rig.