Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images

Question smallest diamond tarp

hi everyone i need some feedback on the size of a 7x7 square shaped tarp in diamond config, for one nighters in good weather, but when i still want to have something with me just in case. the diagonal would be 9.9ft so that should be enough for my hammocks (?). pitching in hennessy style is ok rather than going much bigger... i was thinking 8 tie-outs. it would be my first cuben
    Last edited by kobold; 04-04-2011 at 03:28. Reason: more info

Images
    The smaller the tarp, the closer it needs to be to the hammock to get adequate coverage in wind driven rain. The bottom entry on the Hennessy Hammocks is more accommodating with small tarps because it doesn't interfere with getting into and out of the hammock with close pitched tarps like side entry hammocks.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Why square? If you're only planning for a diamond pitch, stretch that major axis out a bit and shrink the minor axis.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    thanks youngblood & oldgringo for your thoughts

i will be using it mostly in diamond config and i won't mind pulling it very close to the hammock when it's raining cats and dogs.

when it is more of a moderate to light rain i like to rise the 'wings' almost horizontal, so i can have a larger coverage area, ventilation and views.
    i also like to have the option for other setups; all the tie-outs are for times when i want it as a secondary/emergency/hammockless tarp. oops forget that last bit...

i forgot to say this would be a summer tarp and probably light enough to go with me anywhere for four months out of twelve.

oldgringo, your question was spot on and i would do exactly that, but i already have two hh diamond tarps, i guess i want to try something different...

i also like that all the angles are 90 degrees, and so they are giving a wider coverage already very near to the tie-out points.

cheers!
    k

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    One of the great characteristics of the HH type asym tarp is that you don't need to sew a massive flat felled seam. They are made from a 5' width (or so) fabric. see this:
    http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...m/tutorial.php
    for a tutorial. A 7x7 would have the disadvantage of a significantly shorter ridge line. An 11' ridge asym would be (effectively) 7'+ wide, so your square would in reality reduce your coverage. Let's face it, Mr. Hennessy's idea is really quite bright - probably the best compromise of weight/coverage possible, and reduced effort to make at the same time.I have a HH hex tarp for camping, but for backpacking, I'm making as light an asym as I can. For variety, I might think about a duel purpose poncho - that would save me a few ounces. perhaps I'll make that next?

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I recently explored this idea a few months ago and decided on a modified diamond measuring 11' x 6.5' and had Joe @ ZPacks construct it for me out of .51 oz. cuben material. We added small beaks to the end of the tarp which help in the rain. The tarp before seam sealing and rigging came in at a weight of 3.5 oz. After seam sealing and with rigging and a stuff sack, it weighs only 4.7 oz. Some pics are linked below, clicky for full size.

I don't know if I'd ever go much smaller than this size. It's kind of pushing the limits a bit.

Last edited by Tobit; 04-06-2011 at 11:43. Reason: Typos

• + New Posts