Thread: Hitchcraft

Hitchcraft

I have been using the small Hitchcraft device for several weeks now and really like its simplicity and tauntness over the lashing technique. Once a tie on is made it stays regardless of humidity, weight, wind etc. Today I noticed a small fray on my HH rope. I think I overtightened it at that point and didn't relieve the tension before I undid the rope. Has anyone noticed any fraying with this device?

So no one has had any problems with this device?

Images
    I had not noticed any rope damage yet, but I really haven't used it all that much. I did not get it until after my last week long trip, on which I used the nylon rope cleat instead, on the foot end, and a cinch buckle on the head end.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I tried the larger Hitchcraft on my HH Explorer UL. It worked but did fray the outter core of rope a bit.

I have since switched to tree huggers and carbiners.

Thanks for the replies, I may contact Hitchcraft as I notice he specifically advertises use with a HH.

I received an excellent and thorough response from Hitchcraft. Given his explanation I strongly believe I over tightened the HH rope and that caused the fraying. So just passing on the advice to everyone here. I plan on continuing to use the Hitchcraft for the HH and the hex tarp.

Images
    I quickly learned it was EASY to overtighten with my Hitchcraft. And I just as quickly learned to back off a bit, since it made my HH uncomfortable. Maybe that's why I had not noticed any fraying, since I only really tightened it on the very first use, but within minutes had loosened it?

I would like to try this out. I assume you are using the Mini. Are you using the standard HH rope?

Yes using the standard HH rope and a mini tie, but I am waiting to here from Hitchcraft, as I had another question regarding whether I would be better off with the Large tie as it was suggested, by them, that the mini may not be ideal above a 150 lb load. The large tie is of course quite a bit bigger than the mini. In the meantime I'm going to continue using the mini and just not draw the line as taunt.

Thanks winger. Will be looking for more feedback from them when you get a chance.

• + New Posts