Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

First paddle of 2011

Now that spring is fully happening here and i've pretty much put the snowshoes
    away my thoughts started turning to paddling. Two weeks ago the launches were choked with snow but what a difference two wks of warmer weather can make. I started getting my stuff ready a couple of days ago and thought if sunday was sunny i'll go out for a day paddle up the river . I'm still getting use to immersion gear so getting out on the lake with spring winds and waves seemed too much but hanging out on the river for a few hrs breaking myself back in seemed like a go. I drove up the valley to my launch site, now free of snow, and began getting the kayak and all the gear to the tiny beach there. I got all my gear on and felt claustrophobic but i new to breath and relax and things ill settle down. So different from warm weather/ warm water paddling when you have less cloths on and more freedom. I squeezed in the boat and headed up river.

The river was calm and i was relaxing. The water was 42f. I was trying out my new pogies ,,,,and i like them. Pogies are a big glove type thing that velcros onto the paddle so when you slide your hand in your holding on to the paddle and you hand is surrounded by a tunnel of neoprene. I was also testing my new Low Tide Neoprene boots that are about 16-18" high so you really keep the water out while getting in and out.

After a while i found a lunch spot. Its kind of a gravel bar on the river that i pulled the boat up on and relaxed having some soup, bread and tea.

From the gravel bar looking southish.

I had to make some adjustments to my foot pegs for the trip back as i needed a little more room with the extra gear on. I have to remember to move the seat back as well to make it easier to get my legs in with these boots. I was warm and toosty in my gear but i might wear one less fleece next time. I was wearing merino base, then a Farmer John, fleece top over that, then my kokotat tempest pants , Six Level Duke dry top over that and my Low Tide Boots,,,,i felt like the Michelin Man. While i was having lunch the weather was changing all around me but it wasn't raining or snowing on me. It looked like storms coming in from multiple direction on my way back.

It cleared off briefly, the sun came out and this little shack appeared, a little fish hut or something, they weren't selling anything today.

The sun was gone as i got back to the launch and the little beach.

So it was a good day breaking my paddling arms in a bit , testing some gear and learning to relax in this immersion stuff. Today i'm sore. My arms , my butt, my legs. It'll take a few outings to get back in shape. Looks like rain for the next week but maybe there will be some better weather soon.
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Important to dress for immersion!

Several years ago I invested in a semi-dry suit (neoprene neck gasket instead of a latex one). On a WW paddling trip here in WV on the Shaver's Fork of the Cheat River I got tangled up with an overhanging hemlock and took my first unplanned swim in over 20 years.

All I could think of when I surfaced was "Hey, I am warm and comfy!".

Too many folks dismiss the effects of cold water, so I am glad that you took the needed precautions.

Jim

Images
    Got to love pogies this time of year.
    After winter I never seem to fit in my wetsuit very well. (Too many Christmas cookies)

You have some beautiful views around your local boating spot.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Looks like a fun trip.
    I was hoping to splash my yaks for the first time this weekend, but didn't make it. Oh well. At least one of us did.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Several years ago I invested in a semi-dry suit (neoprene neck gasket instead of a latex one). On a WW paddling trip here in WV on the Shaver's Fork of the Cheat River I got tangled up with an overhanging hemlock and took my first unplanned swim in over 20 years.

All I could think of when I surfaced was "Hey, I am warm and comfy!".

Too many folks dismiss the effects of cold water, so I am glad that you took the needed precautions.

Jim
    Its true about water temps. I happened to get the Farmer John at a good price locally so went for that. Then i got the Duke brand new for $100 which normally around here is twice that so i gradually got some gear. If i could i would get a dry suit but can't afford it . I don't expect to be rolling in cold water for practice but you never know when a swim and self rescue happens,,,hopefully no time soon.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    glad you got out on the water, looks like a beauty of a paddling spot. I love my pogies too!!
    Debi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Any day on the water is a good day. Great trip, beautiful country. Thanks for posting.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like you had a great time, nice country to Paddle. Thanks sharing the Pic's.
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Happy that you got out and worked those paddlin' muscles! Looks wonderful.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    Nice photos, looked like a nice day to be on the water. Won't be long and all the green will be visible around you as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast