Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    A hiking buddy of mine also had a 1 inch hole in his Spinn from an acorn falling through it. (A physist hiking buddy of ours calculated the speed of the thing later that night around the camp fire - from what I remember 80-100 mph falling from 40-50 feet up).

I was originally bummed about it, but the more I thought about it, the more character it adds (and the confidence I built repairing the thing was priceless in the event something happens of this nature again).
    Thats CRAZY!
    It does add character, just as long as it doesn't add water to my down bag if a hole happens during a storm. I can see it now, my SpinnUL will eventually weigh more than a canvas tarp due to multiple repairs and look like a bed quilt from the patches lol.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OBOZ View Post
    And that is something I will do! or maybe

See attachment:
    Check out where spreader bar damage would occur with using clips in your pic.
    Yes, exactly! But go back and check out exactly where I put the Grip Clips when using the BMBH....... IOW, I put them right where the bars are likely to hit. (I think in one you can see by my hand how much spare room there is between the bar end and tarp.) Then, with even slight outward tension on the guy out cord pulling the tarp away from the bars and hammock, I have all the room in the world. In fact, you can even see in the picture where you added the red line than a 31" bar, 15.5" from the center of the hammock, will not hit the tarp. Believe me, this works!

Here is the pic with the hand again just for simplicity.

Remember this is even with the tarp end CLOSED. It is easy to get even MORE room with a normal pitch with the ends wide open.

Actually, you can probably see the difference even better in this pic, because the clip is only on the right side at the start of those experiments, and you can see the very significant dif between left and right. Again, with ends("doors") closed on a JRB tarp. Looks like there is about 6" to spare:

Another approach is: I have used some smaller bars(or even no bar) for the foot end. If the weather is terrible, and I need the hammock end closed, I just put the foot on the windward side, and put the shorter bars in. This gives plenty of room on one end. I can usually pitch the other end wide enough for zero problems.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-05-2011 at 13:23.

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yes, exactly! But go back and check out exactly where I put the Grip Clips when using the BMBH....... IOW, I put them right where the bars are likely to hit. !

Here is the pic with the hand again just for simplicity.

Remember this is even with the tarp end CLOSED. It is easy to get even MORE room with a normal pitch with the ends wide open.

Actually, you can probably see the difference even better in this pic, because the clip is only on the right side at the start of those experiments, and you can see the very significant dif between left and right. Again, with ends("doors") closed on a JRB tarp. Looks like there is about 6" to spare:

Another approach is: I have used some smaller bars(or even no bar) for the foot end. If the weather is terrible, and I need the hammock end closed, I just put the foot on the windward side, and put the shorter bars in. This gives plenty of room on one end. I can usually pitch the other end wide enough for zero problems.
    Im going to check out the clips for sure. Thanks! I looked closer at the hand/clip pic.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    three nights ago i had to hang in complete darkness. we had some very exhausting drinks by the fire, so i was pretty *tired*... ;-) i felt a strip of joined velcro in my hand and i thought it's a top quilt foot-box, so i separated it. but, it was the smaller part of the mw3c... i still managed to attach the uq and get the tq in with me in the hammock. when i woke up in the morning my feet were cold and i found the missing mw3c bit lying on the ground. i hope i learned the lesson.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234