Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Maybe this would be a good time for all whom own a bridge to think about how and what could be used to pad the ends of the bars!? What would be a lightweight and or UL way???
    Pan suggested on putting socks on ends. You would have to tie them on, not just slide them on due to the webbing design. Not a bad idea though.

I'm dealing with Brian at OES and going to see what design he can come up with as far as getting proper wind/rain coverage without any worries of spreaderbar damage.

OH note to all, SpinnUL is getting harder to find. The quality of the waterproofing has gone downhill, so treasure the ones you have!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambeaux View Post
    I know that was a painful lesson Oboz.. As a new owner of a BMBH and a soon to be owner of a pricey (to me) MLD Tarp I really appreciate your sharing. I may have to slice up an old pair of tennis balls to make spreaderbar pads.
    That or some other means of padding is a good idea and will get the job done. But Grip Clips has the added benefit of not only providing more room for the s. bars, but also more room for the person! YAY! I have been known to use the Grip Clips in bad weather even with a non-bridge hammock.

Even just on one side is a noticeable improvement. And another (maybe) plus: much like panel pulls, would extra stability in wind be provided? A decreased tendency for the tarp to be blown inward against either s.bars or non-bridge hammock hanger.

Any one here ever had the wind plaster the side of your tarp right up against your shoulder? I have!

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by OBOZ View Post
    The blue patch on the grey tarp definitely gives it character
    You could use a smilie face or an ouch face for a patch

now that would be charactor
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Any one here ever had the wind plaster the side of your tarp right up against your shoulder? I have!
    Wind and rain last year on AT. Funny thing was I stayed warm and dry. I will never forget that night either. Turned on the headlamp to see if I had to get out in rain to fix tarp and my bug netting was absolutely covered with black flies trying to survive under my tarp. It was like a horror show. Never seen anything like it. Was a rough night for sleeping.

luckily the tarp hamhocker uses has the panel pulls on them. Not sure how they line up with the spreader bars though.

I felt the ends of the spreader bars last night and they have a covering over them but the edge is still sharp enough to rip the tarp.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    You could use a smilie face or an ouch face for a patch

now that would be charactor
    And that is something I will do! or maybe

See attachment:
    Check out where spreader bar damage would occur with using clips in your pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by *HangMan*; 04-05-2011 at 11:23.

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    luckily the tarp hamhocker uses has the panel pulls on them. Not sure how they line up with the spreader bars though.

I felt the ends of the spreader bars last night and they have a covering over them but the edge is still sharp enough to rip the tarp.
    Yeah I checked my ends also, combine that with a nice taunt tarp with thin SpinnUL material = my result

JACKS this is far from a slam against your wonderful BMBH! It is my favorite even over my beloved WBBB. But I think everyone should be aware of this issue and find what works for them while enjoying your work of art of a hammock!

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images

Thumbs up Posted this 2 weeks ago

Here are pics of my hike 2 weeks ago that I didn't have any weather concerns at all. Honestly the best nights sleep I had in a very long time. Without alcohol or benedryl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by *HangMan*; 04-05-2011 at 12:07. Reason: edited images

Quote Originally Posted by OBOZ View Post
    Yeah I checked my ends also, combine that with a nice taunt tarp with thin SpinnUL material = my result

JACKS this is far from a slam against your wonderful BMBH! It is my favorite even over my beloved WBBB. But I think everyone should be aware of this issue and find what works for them while enjoying your work of art of a hammock!

hamhocker really likes her bridge hammock. It has a flat lay and she can turn over easier in it than the other hammocks she has tried.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I have biffed my Spinn BMJ (not from using a bridge hammock - from clumsiness). A 3-4 inch circular hole and a 1-2 inch circular hole. Patched well with GE II silicone and a piece of scrap Spinn.

A hiking buddy of mine also had a 1 inch hole in his Spinn from an acorn falling through it. (A physist hiking buddy of ours calculated the speed of the thing later that night around the camp fire - from what I remember 80-100 mph falling from 40-50 feet up).

I was originally bummed about it, but the more I thought about it, the more character it adds (and the confidence I built repairing the thing was priceless in the event something happens of this nature again).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast