Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images

Horrible First time Hammocking in the woods

First night wasnt so bad but barely got 3-4 hours of sleep. Second night I thought well hell ill take my pad out to see if I sleep better.....WRONG. It got downt to like 38 degrees and I had a 50 degree sleeping bag . I was frozen. I have alot of problems/questions with hammocking in general. Im 5'11 and the Hennessy Expedition Asym should fit me but my feet always touch the top of the bug netting at the far end and my feet froze. I dont know if I just didnt have the hammock between two far enough trees or what. also Im still finding it hard and strange to lay from my left to right. its hard enough to sleep on my back. I don't want to give up on my hammock. maybe I need to go camping with someone who knows alot about hammocks from here and give it one last shot.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Kinda hard to get it perfect the first time out.. Can you hang in your yard?
    or at least close to the house? You can practice more to get things just right..
    50 degree bag for 38 degrees ? You have to have right equipment for the right conditions.. Don't give up..You will find happieness..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Dont quit on it yet-there IS a little bit of a learning curve. Lying diagonally allows for a fairly flat lay. As to your feet touching-it sounds like your upper body has sunk into the hammock. This comes with how it is hung. Try hanging the foot end a little higher-that will allow for a more even hang.
    I use some sort of under insulation year round-whether its a UQ or a pad. You may want to look into the HH underpad thing-I had one & loved it. Thats the easiest solution to your under hammock padding.
    If you can gind others in your area that are experience hammock campers, I am sure they will be more than happy to show you the trade secrets.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It may take you a few tries .....there is a learning curve.
    Hope it "takes" for you.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    At first read, I think you've answered a lot of your own questions.
    1. Removing the pad will not make the hammock warmer. (You should probably put it back and/or consider an UQ.)
    2. A 50* bag isn't going to keep you warm in 35*. (If you go the UQ route, maybe you could use it as a TQ.)
    3. One could watch all of Shug's videos (which I recommend doing) and one can read 10,000 posts on HF but until you get out there and start hanging you won't know what works for you. Going with someone who has a bit of experience will certainly flatten the learning curve (and your hammock lie). I would encourage you to find a group hang - even if you have to trave a bit. If you let everyone know you are new to this, people will be lined up at your site to give you pointers on your suspension, and side sleeping vs back sleeping, and knots, and tarps, and food, and stoves, and weight, and the weather, and the Braves, and...

Good luck! Keep at it and you will be rewarded!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Sleeping pads can work but they can leave your shoulders cold at times and may move over the course of the night. I have found underquilts to be more comfortable. Don't have any experience with the HH but when I started I had to make adjustmments to my hammocks. I also had to sort of learn how to sleep in a hammock. If you tend to move a lot in bed or are a stomach sleeper etc. then it may take more time to get used to it. I sleep in hammock at home frequently and it helps make it easier when I go hammock camping. Good luck and hope you find your hammock zen!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    What part of South Cackylacky are you in, my man? If you're even remotely close to Charlotte, let me know, I'll meet ya in between somewhere and we'll play around with your hammock and get your hang right. Just don't give up. As others have said, there's a bit of a learning curve to hammocking. Part of the fun with hammocking is experimenting with different hangs to see where your "sweet spot" is. But once you find it, it's oh-so- nice.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I had no idea the pad was that big of a difference that was a problem on my part. but the weather was 80 plus during the day, I had no clue it would drop like that so I brought my summer sleeping bag. And I have no trees in my yard to really practice. I just hate to keep taking it hiking with me and then not be able to sleep with it. I have watched alot of videos. I do believe maybe the trees were a little close. but I also think I need to see a couple people do it in person. I definently don't want to give up because it was so much nicer to pack up and it was lovely to lay in during the day. I just have to find someway to fall asleep in it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

Besides...

You can't quit! It's in your SC blood!
    Francis Marion a/k/a The Swamp Fox was from SC.

We follow where the Swamp Fox guides,
    His friends and merry men are we;
    And when the troop of Tarleton rides,
    We burrow in the cypress tree.
    The turfy hammock is our bed,
    Our home is in the red-deer’s den,
    Our roof, the tree-top overhead,
    For we are wild and hunted men.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    What part of South Cackylacky are you in, my man? If you're even remotely close to Charlotte, let me know, I'll meet ya in between somewhere and we'll play around with your hammock and get your hang right. Just don't give up. As others have said, there's a bit of a learning curve to hammocking. Part of the fun with hammocking is experimenting with different hangs to see where your "sweet spot" is. But once you find it, it's oh-so- nice.
    I live about 15 minutes from greenville ,SC. Id love a lesson sometime haha. I don't wanna give up just yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast