Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Superfly waterproofness

Hey all,
    Love my Superfly. Been experimenting with different ways of setting it up using my hiking poles to pitch it when no trees around and I have to go to ground. Setting it up, tarp edges as low to the ground as possible, like a tent with no bathtub floor.

Sewed ribbon in two places on the doors to be able to tie the doors closed a little better.

With all the rain that one sees on the Appalachian Trail, just how waterproof is this Sil-nylon stuff? Is it going to keep my Blackbird, down bag and UQ dry?

Perhaps I should set it all up and leave the sprinkler on it for several hours.

Thanks for your experiences.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    Perhaps I should set it all up and leave the sprinkler on it for several hours.
    and there it is.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Images
    I've had mine in some light rain and 2" of snow with out issue. Testing it out as you noted is not a bad idea though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    With all the rain that one sees on the Appalachian Trail, just how waterproof is this Sil-nylon stuff? Is it going to keep my Blackbird, down bag and UQ dry?
    Lots of rain depends on the year. Some years are bone dry, others are monsoons. You'll pray for rain in the mid-Atlantic states...I promise!

Yes. The SuperFly will keep you dry. In all honesty, it's way more tarp than you'll need on the AT. It's nice when it's cold/windy/rainy at the same time, but most of that is gone by mid-April anyway. The SuperFly is like carrying a small apartment with you on the Trail. I carried mine for the first 6ish weeks. Fantastic place to wait out a bad skies day.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I've only had mine out on one trip so far. What Cannibal said is true, its like a luxery apartment, haha. If you can't manage to stay dry in it there's no way you're staying dry in anything. I did have some issues I thought may have been spray, but it could have also been the ridgeline most likely.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I've had mine out in significant rain twice. First time it wa a combination of freezing rain then turned to rain. Second time I had just got my tarp setup about dusk and it started raining and was pretty steady all night. Everything stayed dry both times. I have no worries with my superfly.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I just happened to be on the same trip as HamMike on the one rainy night. It rained anywhere from hard to just a continues good rain. I too have a Super Fly, and it kept me dry that entire night. Have also had it out in the rain a few other time with no problems.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    The sperfly is so versitile. I don't think CrackedUp and I had our tarps setup the sameway the whole hike. I used to use a continuous ridgeline but have noticed I get a tauter ridgline and tauter sides on the superfly by tying each end off seperately.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    I had my SF in some of the worst rain I've ever been in a couple weeks ago, and to sum up, I wouldn't hesitate to take it out again for any kind of forecast. I did experience rain getting "blown through" the tarp itself forming a really fine mist. (Believe me, I had PLENTY of opportunity to isolate the issue throughout the night) However, it was only when the wind really gusted and couldn't even notice it behind the mesh once I was zipped into the BB. However, I was watching legit small drops forming and dropping off the inside of the pullouts at the stitching. Seal those babies.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by body942 View Post
    However, I was watching legit small drops forming and dropping off the inside of the pullouts at the stitching. Seal those babies.
    Thanks guys. Will do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast