I just bought a Nest and No Sniveller from JRB for use mainly with my HH AULB. My plan is to use both the No Snilveller and Nest together as an under quilt in extreme cold conditions and use my WM Apache 15 degree bag inside the hammock

After reading Michele's thread on JBR's bottom weather shield and Jeff's thread on his zippered travel pod I have thoughts of weather shields on my mind.

I wanted to make one from the same material Frogg Toggs are made of and after starting a thread on WB I found out they are made of micro porus polypropylene (MPP for short). I think this is the same stuff JRB uses for their weather shields. The stuff is breathable, waterproof, and very light. On the downside it is very fragile and tears easily. I found this stuff for sell at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics under the name of Duravent described as:

Duravent is a patented 3 layer fabric with a micro porous film sandwiched between 2 layers of soft but tough Polypropylene.
They list it as weighing 3.2oz in the description. I am assuming that's per square yard. That seems kinda heavy to me for the Frogg Togg material. There were also suggestions of using Tyvek in the thread at WB. I also have some 1.1 oz silnylon in the collection of fabric I have amassed at home.

What would be the best choice of material for a weather shield? I like the idea of MPP but I don't want to go buy more material and spend more money if I don't have to. I'm not even sure if that's what I am looking for.

Silnylon would be my next choice. It would have the advantage of also being a wind blocking material which may help give a few degrees extra in cold weather protection but I am afraid of condensation issues between the Nest and the silnylon. Should I worry about this? Do I need a breathable fabric?

Tyvek is another option. I have a roll of the Tyvek for soft sided structure which is supposed to be breathable. It is also waterproof but I don't care for the stark white color so it's my last choice.

I also have some questions on the design of the weather shield (WS for short). When I first started thinking about it I wanted something like Jeff's travel pod which would encase the entire hammock. The HH's entry method seems like it would make a "pod" style WS a little hard to deal with and a hassle to get in and out of, especially when I may be dealing with 2 under quilts.

I think a 2 piece design would be best. A bottom section that is basically large enough to cover both quilts without interfering with the loft of the under quilt(s). I also want to make a top WS that goes on the outside of the hammock and covers the entire bug netting portion. The top WS would serve several purposes: I am thinking that enclosing the netting would give you an area inside the hammock that could be warmed up, like Jeff's travel pod, which would be helpful in cold weather as well as protecting from wind, rain, low fog that could get under the tarp, tarp condensation, etc.

I want to use silnylon for the top WS. I am hoping there won't be condensation issues.

With a 2 piece WS you would also have the advantage of only taking the pieces you need instead of having to carry a complete travel pod.

Having written a short novel above, I have to let you know that I have never used under quilt on my HH so there may be something I am missing or not thinking of. Suggestions and comment are encouraged.