Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help Me Choose: UL Explorer or Expl DLX or Deep Jungle XL?

I'm 6'0 and 185. Been reading this forum awhile, ready to make the jump to hanging and I want to buy the right hammock the first time. Price isn't an issue; I'd rather suck it up and pay up once the first time rather than buy/try/resell/trade-up a series of hammocks in a long learning curve.

My hanging will mostly be in the Southeast, from Virginia to Florida, so bugs and sudden fast short rainstorms are a concern. I need to keep pack weight down but I'm not an obsessive gram weenie. This will be for weekends and 3-4 days tops, not thru-hiking.

I'm pretty sold on HH now that they've gone to zippers; (I've spent a couple of nights in an older ExplorerUL and didn't like the velcro bottom).
    So the choice I'd like advice on is:

Should I buy: the Deep Jungle XL or Explorer UL or Explorer DLX with the free optional ExplDLX hex tarp?
    And if I go DJ or ExplUL, should I replace their stock silnylon a-sym tarps with a lightweight hex tarp, and if so which hex? Weight matters.

Each of these models is available new on eBay for about $20-$40 less than from HH direct.

Thanks everyone, I'll welcome and appreciate your advice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My recommendation is the Deep Jungle given the choices.

I have all three of the models you listed and I find the DJs to be the more comfortable. They're heavier than the UL, but lighter than the Deluxe. I think the comfort is worth any slight penalty. Plus, with its two layers, it makes using a pad easier and completely removes the bug's 'biting from below option' which is important where you are heading.

The stock tarps work just fine with a little practice and common sense. However, they aren't so great for waiting-out short storms; there just isn't much extra room under them. A hex will give you lots more coverage for not too much more weight. As to which,...toss a coin. Personally, I'm a fan of the OES MacCat tarps and the Warbonnet Outdoors tarps. Still, there are many many fine quality tarps to be found around here. The only hard part is choosing one.

Good luck!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I have a DJ and love it, although it is quite heavy. I also have the HH Hex tarp but it's the PU coated version, which is heavy. I think if you went with the silnylon HH Hex tarp you would be quite happy, it's a nice tarp. If you buy your DJ through HH, you can get the PU coated Hex tarp instead of the stock HH tarp for free. You could also pay a little extra money and trade the stock HH tarp for the silnylon Hex tarp. You just have to say something when you order.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    I like my Deep Jungle.
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Thumbs up

I like my Deep Jungle XL!
    If you're not a Gram counter, Buy a bigger
    tarp. If weight matters, the stock tarp is ok. I personally bring both, just in case. IMHO the Deep Jungle XL Zip will save you $ cuz You don't need a UQ.
    Just use a Ridgerest. It works. Heck glue two of em together( side x side), get out the scissors, cut it to form fit, you're all set. Save 100.00 + Glue a Space blanket on top...??!! The pad that comes with the hammock is ok for summer in MN, All 3 weeks of it.
    Last edited by Fishpig; 04-06-2011 at 02:42.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I got my DJ pad down to 13 1/2"x7", much smaller than CCF pad.

TravelPro-

I sometimes help Tom out at shows. You are at the upper end of a standard size hammock, so do not NEED the longer length. If you truly want the extra room, by all means, go for it. I've used Hennessys for over 10 years and am quite happy with the stock fly. To me, it isn't worth the extra weight to go bigger than I need. Yes, as someone noted, the PU tarps are heavier than silnylon ones.

The DeepJungle and pad will prevent mosquitoes from biting through the fabric bottom, but so should the tight weave of the UL. Permethrin also helps, as does any closed cell pad. I have some hammocks with which Tom rewarded me with for helping him and which I can sell at a discount. PM me if you are interested.

Rosaleen
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    You may not NEED the extra length in a hammock but you will truly want it later on! Also, you will want a bigger tarp! Rosaleen says that the stock tarp is fine for her in the last 10 years. She must only camp on the nicest days because around here I would get wet no matter how I set it up. I agree that it's a great tarp for the warm clear days, though. If you plan to camp year around I would recommend a bigger tarp. My .02.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Cannibal recommended the DJ, and with its double layer will provide a lot of protection from bugs. When you order, you can also get the stock asym fly replaced by the HH Hex. I have two of the silnylon versions, and I am pleased with them. Couple the hammock, and fly with the cpontinuous tarp ridgeline, self tensioning guylines, and whoopieslings fromr whoopieslings.com and you will have a mighty nice rig.

Actually, I've been out in storms that contirbuted to a small plane going down near Harpers Ferry and tropical storms that were downgraded from hurricanes. Moreover, that was using the earliest diamond-shaped UL hammock and smaller (by proportion) fly. I did need to get up and lower the fly or move a bit to one side of the hammock, in those storms, but stayed dry.

I have gotten a bit wet when a "friend" accidentally knocked my fly tie-out line free of its stake and did a poor job of tying it to a wisp of a branch before a storm, or some such problem/error. If the hammock and fly are properly aligned and pitched the user will be OK in the nearly any storm.

I've also used one of the Adventure Racer hammocks. It is shorter and less deep than the Expedition/Asym Backpacker/Hyperlight series. I'm over height and weight and still was happy with it. For a longer summer trek, it is worth cutting weight everywhere reasonably feasible. Making any gear work is in the hands and technique of the user. I don't need a palace, just enough off of my back and knees to make hauling my stuff all day workable with a decent night's sleep. The least comfortable night hanging is better than the best night on the ground, IMHO.

Rosaleen
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast