Newbie needs help

Hello all you Claytor fans! I am new to hammocks and this forum. I posted yesterday under the general hammock talk and was directed to this area so am going to post under a couple different forums for the different brands to help in my decision making..

So I have been reading a lot all over this forum and the web and looking at youtube videos and still not able to decide..

So basically I am going to be primarily needing something for the jungle in Costa Rica (but at elevation so can get a little cooler at night and can rain a lot)...
    I should mention I am a long skinny light weight (6' at about 140 lbs).. and I am a side sleeper.. I am interested in budget but also in comfort and if I have to spend more for comfort I will.. unfortunately I don't have time to 'test drive' anything as I need to order for my trip coming up at the end of the month.

All I knew of hammocks originally was of the Hennessy variety but then I was telling a friend I was thinking about getting one and he said oh no get a Clark they are much better. So since then I have been reading all kinds of reviews and comparisons and then found this site and found out there are so many more kinds of hammocks than I had ever dreamed! So it's made my decision making a bit harder! So maybe some of you can help!?

I first posted in the general hammock talk and some told me of the Claytor hammocks (esp. the jungle hammock), which looks decent and has a great price tag but I hear about concerns with water wicking on the ropes (will probably be facing a lot of rain, so can't have that).. and generally sounds like rigging is not the best.. I am guessing a lot of you modify your suspension, so maybe some tips as to how and where you get what you need for that would be great..

And just want thoughts on comfort in a Claytor.. the price is very much right but I would be willing to go with something else if the design is more comfortable.. not as concerned with weight.. but am concerned with being able to side sleep and also insulate if I need to.. I will be in a warm climate but I could probably still get chilly at night so how easy is it to use a pad and what do you recommend for insulation with these hammocks? Also maybe why you choose them over others would help.

Sorry for the length.. I really am just having a very hard time deciding and have been spending far too many hours on this decision right now!

Any help will be appreciated! And sorry for the redundancy for any of you who may have seen my other post in the other section...

Thanks!!!

PS- I hear shipping is slow for these hammocks.. I would need mine in about three weeks time.. anyway to get it speeded up if I needed?

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    I have a Claytor and so far i love it. I too am a side sleeper, however i am a weightlifter and am 5' 10" tall and weight 250. I use mine in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest. I just recently bought an underquilt and have tried it once. Unfortunetly for me it was for a different type of hammock and doesn't fit very well. I have used the Thermarest Z rest and it worked great. I also have a very good sleeping bag system with me. If you get an underquilt get one for the Claytor, Kickass quilts sells some pretty nice stuff. Thats where i'm going to get mine if i can sell the one i have. You will probably want to get a different suspension system but the one it has works just fine. The biggest thing to remember is hanging your tarp to the right height. If you go too high you will get very wet. I understand wet. It rains here a lot. Great hammock so far for me. Very easy to set up and take down and sleeps comfortably, off the ground. Bug net comes in very handy at night believe me. You'll need it where your going. Any other questions, i'll be happy to answer.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Claytor Hammocks are built like a tank , it was my first hammock! Tom is an outstanding individual and believes in customer service .
    The Claytor hammock and tarp are awesome just as they come! you can get in the mail and run right out and hang it and it only takes up minimal space in your pack...I own a Warbonnet Blackbird but I have three Claytor Jungle hammocks two camo and one OD!
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Thanks all! Just seeing these. Glad to get some feedback from Claytor owners. I am still considering getting one in future in the meantime I ended up deciding to get something that I had got a chance to try out from a member on here that was really inexpensive.. (Grand Trunk Ultra light) that I found really comfortable.. So I had to buy the other components separately (bug net and tarp) but it still added up to a cheap beginner kit so that I have something for my trip but then will have time now before investing more in this hammocking business so I can get to try different set ups at some 'hangs'.. but thanks for sharing.. I appreciate it!

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    OHH!! you wanted to know about faster shipping , you have to pay xtra but can get it in a week....also shipping from there is slower due to the bombing in Yemen...hope this helps you bro...SEMPER FI!
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

• + New Posts