Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Amazing to me how the creator of the Packa comes out and offers advice on how to copy his design. Bloody fantastic! Tremendous forum and kudos to you Cedar Tree.
    Methinks he knows how much work and effort is involved! I've usually found that our cottage makers offer a good value for their product.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    Smalls, we need to get together. I have been thinking of doing this, too.
    Cedar Tree, that is nice of you. That is kinda what I have been thinking.
    Two Tents, I would like to look at your Packa if you don't mind. My daughter is home for a few days but I am pretty flexible. I am retired.
    I forgot to say, I am sure this is an excellent piece of gear.
    Last edited by charley; 04-06-2011 at 18:09. Reason: add more

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Charley, my schedule is pretty open. You're a bit closer to Two Tents than I am, but I'm only maybe 20 minutes out. You two lemme know when is good, and I should be able to make it.

Cedar Tree, I'm with the rest of these guys. That's a downright gentlemanly thing to do, offering advice on making my own version of your product. Thank you!

-Smalls

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Has anyone tried this DIY yet? I'm thinking along the same lines as smalls, I have the time and the silnylon already, I don't have the money for a real packa though. I was thinking of making the silnylon jacket (or use a Driducks) and then adding the pack cover to it as cedar tree suggests.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    So, I'm taking this as a no... I'll have to do it now and post results. I may do one with an old (read leaky) frogg togg that I have and then if it turns out make one out of a over sized Driducks/ Silnylon Green Pepper #124 Fairbanks Jacket.

Images
    I threw together a prototype based on tight-wad's Poncho pack cover with plans to trim the poncho into more of a jacket shape with separable zippers joining the two sides and simultaneously serving as pit vents.

I have the pack cover made and sewn into the poncho portion but haven't yet made an attempt to reshape the poncho into a jacket with dolman style sleeves.

It has taken 3 hours just for the sewing so far, and that still isn't a finished product. Of course, I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Let us know what you come up with.
    Last edited by OneEye; 01-10-2012 at 19:31. Reason: oops: misattribution

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Shug, I love the Packa video you posted! Thanks for laugh!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

DIY Packa

Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Has anyone tried this DIY yet? I'm thinking along the same lines as smalls, I have the time and the silnylon already, I don't have the money for a real packa though. I was thinking of making the silnylon jacket (or use a Driducks) and then adding the pack cover to it as cedar tree suggests.
    Make the jacket with silnylon first. Don't use the Driducks jacket. I've experimented with Driducks some and sewn seams will fail easily under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    So, I'm taking this as a no... I'll have to do it now and post results. I may do one with an old (read leaky) frogg togg that I have and then if it turns out make one out of a over sized Driducks/ Silnylon Green Pepper #124 Fairbanks Jacket.
    Do you already have a packcover you want to use? If so, make the jacket and use the procedure I posted above. I would recommend pit zips on any jacket. If you don't already have a packcover, make the jacket and packcover as separate stand alone alone items first. Make sure the jacket fits you, and the packcover fits your pack. Then combine them with the procedure above.

Good luck

CT

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Wow thanks, cedar tree. I was hoping to save the effort of making a jacket then cutting it up, only to be disappointed by the outcome, by using the dri ducks as a prototype. I may still use the old frogg togg jacket i have as a prototype understanding it won't be useful in the field, to save heart ache of ruining hours of work.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Bilgy Parcho

I ordered the plans from Quest Outfitter and made a "Parcho" several years ago. I love it! It is really great in warm weather, since it breathes so well. It is a challenging item to sew, however. Go for it.

Happy Trails.
    " . . . there's no easy trail to Cache Lake, for it is protected by distance, mile after forgotten mile of woods and water, and it is still clean and clear and safe from civilization." John J Rowlands from Cache Lake Country

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12