Thread: Fabric ID Help

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

Fabric ID Help

Stumbled on some netting type fabric at Joann that I'm having trouble identifying. I'd appreciate help from anyone who might know about this.

Clues:
    - Forest Green 59" wide
    - 100% Polyester
    - Looks very much like noseeum netting, but not quite as shiny.
    - Hole size is just a little smaller than noseeum.
    - Weighs 1.6 oz/yd.
    - Frays easily when cut
    - Melts and pulls away from flame, but does not continue to burn
    - Very very tough. I can't tear it. Even if I grab the very edge.
    - 1/2" selvedge edges are woven tightly like a regular fabric.
    - Dry clean only. I washed and blotted a piece on a paper towel. No bleeding of color.

I bought one whole bolt (14 yards) for $1/yard. There's 2-3 more bolts still at the store. Too bad it's not Black.

Here are some photos.

First and last photo shows this material side by side with noseeum netting.
    Fourth photo shows the label on the fabric bolt.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 04-05-2011 at 22:40.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looks like sheer window covering/drapes material to me.
    With such a tight weave it may not breathe well in hot conditions.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    With such a tight weave it may not breathe well in hot conditions.
    Yea, that's what I'm thinking too.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tangiers is the name of the weave. It is used for sheer curtains and coverings for pillows and cushions. How useful it would be for bugnet is something I can't comment on. Note: The bolt label lists the fabric as "flammable" so you can assume once a sufficient amount of flame is present it will not self-extinguish. So be very careful around campfires. You'd hate to have an ember from a fire fly up after you got comfortable. Synthetics will often melt as they burn leaving a gooey layer to adhere to the skin. Not a good thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I'm pretty sure it's 100% polyester organza (sometimes called organdy). It makes AWESOME bug netting in my opinion, because it's got a little stiffness to it so it doesn't sag from the ridgeline as bad as softer fabrics do. And it's absolutely impervious to ANY kind of bug no matter how small (unlike some tulle netting). Black seems to be the best color for seeing through but that dark green will look nice in the woods, I feel.

Buying the whole bolt was really smart of you!! $1 a yard is a great price. I'm trying to find some on line right now and $2.70 a yard is the cheapest I can find, but then there's shipping charges.

P.S. Pretty much any fabric used for camping is a synthetic (except old school wool) and will melt if an ember lands on it. I have found that, occasionally, polyester organza WILL catch fire as I'm melting the edges, but quickly blows out. Anyway, enjoy!! I think you got a good deal there.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's 100% polyester organza (sometimes called organdy). It makes AWESOME bug netting in my opinion, because it's got a little stiffness to it so it doesn't sag from the ridgeline as bad as softer fabrics do.
    This is NOT organza. The weave (Tangiers) is clearly indicated on the label. While I agree that organza can make a great alternative bug net, that's not what this is. So making a comparison between organza and Tangiers may not be accurate.

The fact that the label indicates "flammable" is a source of real concern for me. Most of the time fabrics I have used have not been labeled as such unless they are a real hazard or are deemed to be non-flammable. I would deem it a greater than usual hazard because of the clarity of the label. Children and infant sleepwear is no longer allowed to be made from polyester unless it is specifically treated and listed as non-flammable because polyester sticks to the skin. This is a federal mandate. I'm not saying don't use it, just take the labeling as a further warning. Nylon and polyester behave very differently in this regard.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 04-06-2011 at 15:38.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The fact that the label indicates "flammable" is a source of real concern for me.
    Not really a factor in this case. This morning I lit a large sample up. At first, I was unable to get it to catch and had to chase the edge around with my BIC lighter just to keep the flame in contact with the material. I did eventually get it to lite by holding the fabric vertical and appliying the flame to the bottom corner. Even when lit, it would barely support a flame and went out on it's own 2 or 3 times.

There would be an extremely rare chance that a stray ember from a campfire could cause this fabric to catch fire.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Not really a factor in this case. This morning I lit a large sample up. At first, I was unable to get it to catch and had to chase the edge around with my BIC lighter just to keep the flame in contact with the material. I did eventually get it to lite by holding the fabric vertical and appliying the flame to the bottom corner. Even when lit, it would barely support a flame and went out on it's own 2 or 3 times.

There would be an extremely rare chance that a stray ember from a campfire could cause this fabric to catch fire.
    I have been thinking about this. I believe federal law now mandates that curtains and draperies be non-flammable. At least I have that archived somewhere in my memory. Since Tangiers was widely used as curtain material, the labeling would be printed that way to acknowledge that the fabric does not meet federal requirements for curtain fabric. If you wanted to use it for you own curtains in your own home you would be able to, but sale of the curtains would be illegal.

Sorry for any alarmist comments. That was buried under about 43 layers of other things that were more current, like moving into the new house by the end of the month. Getting the final details taken care of used up most of my available RAM which is very close to "stack overload" most of the time anyway.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    No worries. I suppose many of these synthetic materials we use would not meet certain requirements for other purposes.

It's funny you mention alternate uses because I found this stuff at my local Joann store while I was walking to where they keep the Headliner Foam. I wanted to investigate it's possible use for a Venom Pot cozy.

• + New Posts