WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by froggfeathers View Post
    I have a question and if it is a stupid question I apologize in advance. But first, thanks to jjthedog and triton for the plans and the video. Both are fantastic.

Okay, the question. I want to use this for a large Mayan hammock that will measure 13 feet long (or so). I am concerned that with the sag, the hammock will brush the two support pieces that connect the masts (I think that's the term you are using) to the base. Am I wrong? And if I am right, would I just make the base longer and add the third leg for support?

Thanks as always. Hammockforums is the best!

Frogg
    Is it possible to make the support beams (the 2x4's from the base to the extended end pieces) a shorter length, thus a steeper angle without compromising the intergrity of the entire structure?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    OWL 12' Tad Pole
    Insulation
    30° 3/4 leighlo g3
    Suspension
    SLINGS & TREE HUG
    Here is my version of this stand, w/ my ENO Double nest and 12' Kelty Noah tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    Looks good john_boy! You've got a nice little set up there. I like the angled cuts on the bottom 2x4's.

On a side note - I've been thinking about getting that same tarp. Looks to have good coverage.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    OWL 12' Tad Pole
    Insulation
    30° 3/4 leighlo g3
    Suspension
    SLINGS & TREE HUG
    The 12' Kelty, Looks to me to have great coverage. I made the mistake of buying the 16' Kelty, I don't know what I was thinking, that thing is HUGE. I saw it was the same price as the 12' so I thought the bigger the better. Boy was I wrong. So I ended up getting the 12' and now I have something for the Circus when they come to town. By the way I love the stand. My boys and I had a good time putting it together.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    What a terrible time I had putting together my stand. I cut 1 2x4 wrong so needed to get another. The store I got the wood and hardware for screwed up typing in the numbers for the items each time I went. Used treated lumber and galvanized hardware. Lumber at the store was outside so when assembling I foung the boards wern't 1 1/2 thick anymore, they had swelled. 3/8 x 8 bolts didn't quite go thru the 5 lower pieces so went back to the store to get 3/8 x 9. Don't have. 3/8 only goes up to 8. Had to get 1/2 but no 9". Had to get 10". Had to redrill the lower holes to 1/2". Now the bolts fit but if and when the boards dry and shrink I will have too long of bolts and the ends are only threaded a little ways. Borrowed a tap and die set and extended the threads some. If the bolts become too long and might become a hazzard I can cut off the excess. Just need to install the uprights then install the eye bolts and hang a hammock. Almost done. After all this I could have just planted 2 trees in the yard but I wouldn't have been able to move them.
    This will be my first time in a hammock so I hope I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    working on a video of my stand setup I will include a picture of this setup. I think you should add 1/2 x 5 inch bolts for the side and top.1/2 x 8 inchers for the bottom to the parts list the more details the less guessing for the wood challenged like me.
    I've just ordered the timber for my own efforts. However, it occurs to me that the bolts would need to be 7" (3 x 2" + 1) and 11" (5 x 2" +1). It is proving difficult to get 11" long bolts!

Aisledog

Hammock
    ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier or not, but I countersunk the bolt heads a little. This gave extra length and kept the bolt from sticking out so much (well at least on that side). 2x4's aren't really 2" these days, so that difference adds up. Combined with the countersinking, the bolt measurements in the PDF should fit. Of course the extent of swelling or drying out would need to be taken into account. I always get my pieces of lumber then hold the bolt across them to see what size will fit the best before I leave the hardware store. Just things to consider.

Happy hanging!
    J

Hammock
    Eno SN & DN
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    PLUQ UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    Images

My DIY Stand

Loved the stand and the thorough plans. I decided to build one. I had lowes cut the pieces for me before I left so all I had to do was drill and bolt. I had to use threaded rod for the long bolts as I found the 10" was too long, and the next size down was too short as the bolts are only threaded a little bit. I did drill all the holes first before I checked the angles, went with the math instead of the looks right. My stand tips ended up about 70* and barely 11 ft apart. This made for a very high hang the first night. I lengthened the lower supports to 48" hole to hole and this gives me about a 14ft spread now at about a 55* angle. This makes for a much more comfortable hang height. My eno dn and bug net clear all supports with a few inches to spare. I needed something to hang with on the porch here in bug country. Thanks again for the plans.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

My offerings

My effort is now complete and I must say I'm very pleased with the results. A big thanks to JJthedog for his design and others on the forum for their comments.
    I made a few design mods and have some comments which members may find useful:
    Comments:
    This is a big solid structure, by which I mean TITANIC. I have every confidence that it will support whatever weight is demanded of it.
    The hammock I use is a British DD Hammock. This is supposed to be tight streached at seating height, so the design height of 6' is probably a bit OTT. However, with extra eye bolts at a lower level, the higher pair are useful for the tarp.
    You will see from the thread that I had concerns that the bolt lengths were a bit out. The arms of my effort were 5" allowing for some counter-sinking on both sides. The base section turned out to be quite a bit wider than the 8" recommended. I'm not sure why but mine needed a good 10". Like Mfury, I used threaded rod cut to length.
    Mods:
    1. For the base, I used 2"x6"x8';
    2. The arm braces were increased from 4' to 5';
    3. Because this structure is so big and heavy, I wanted to be able to demount it into smaller components for winter storage and transportation. I therefore built the base as a box structure and assembled the parts using bolts rather than screws. Even deconstructed, the 7 parts are still big and heavy.

This is a quality piece of kit and I had a lot of fun building it. Thanks again for the plans and advice.
    Pics to follow when I've got my head round the techy bits.

Aisledog

[/url][/IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/79416609@N05/6964941920/][/url]
    hammock stand in bits by Aisledog, on Flickr

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast