Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Web w/Dutchclips

Hanging in the Southeast in Summer

Hello all,

I've done a few searches but I haven't really found what I think I am looking for...

What I am interested in finding out some more about is late Spring, Summer, and early Fall hanging in the Southeastern areas. Not up high in the mountains where it gets comfy cool...but in the 'flat lands' and some of the lower 'hilly' areas. SC, NC, GA, AL, FL type. Where the days are hella hot and humid and the nights aren't that much better...if you know what I mean.

I am just finally getting into hammock camping, and I've got my list of stuff that I'd need/want/have. While I know everyone is different with their comfort levels, there are similarities as well. I've seen a lot on keeping warm, but what about not too warm. Do yall even use an UQ or TQ during these times? I can recall tent camping in a sleeping bag and sleeping ON the bag with the rain fly off if no rain was called for. Of course tents nowdays have mesh tops and a rain fly...that would have been nice growing up. Hell I remember having a family CANVAS tent. EEK!

So, what I am looking for, is what type of setup's do yall use during this time of year and this type of weather?

Here is my setup (so far)
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Superfly (on order) (would I need a smaller one as well for Summer?)
    UQ - looking at the Summer or 3-season Incubator
    TQ - looking at the Summer or 3-season Burrow

The more I think about it, I'd almost think that using an UQ and/or TQ
    during the summer would be sweltering. I'd think using something more like a silk or light fleece sleeping liner modified to be a bit more like a TQ for ease of getting into and out would be the way to go. Of course I'll get an UQ and TQ for the early spring, late fall, and winter...or course which of those would be best for me I'm not quite sure yet. I don't really want to get one and go, dang I really need the other. Trying to keep some of the $ for other money pits I have.

Anyway, any thoughts or tips from yall that have some experience with hanging in these conditions please let me know.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BUG NET is a must after that...
    depending on the weather forecast I partially set up my tarp (ridgeline connected to the trees but left either rolled up or in the skins) and I set it high to help with maximum air flow if it is raining
    topquilt - something thin and breathable - usually my ENO dbl nest with the whipping undone.
    underquilt - something that can be easily deployed when I wake in the middle of the night with a chill.

Summer is gonna be HOT down here no matter what but I can guarantee I will be more comfortable than if I were in a tent (especially if it's raining)
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Oh yeah, bug net! I usually just sleep with a pillow when it's hot. Set my tarp high so it gets some airflow.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    I know exactly what you are talking about. One of my favorite areas in North Carolina is Wilson Creek. It's near the mountains but it is not a high elevation area for the most part. I've spent many nights in a Hennessey hammock with only a summer sleeping bag. From turn-in time until 4:00 am I sleep on top of the bag; only when it cools down in the couple of hours before sunrise do I get inside the bag. I can't imagine a UQ during NC summers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Web w/Dutchclips
    Bug net, oh yeah! Totally agree with you there. That was one of the reasons that I went with the BB hammock in that it had the bug shield built in. I am hoping that the double layer 1.7 will protect the backside as I've heard it does as I don't care to feed the skeeters nor deal with gnats etc.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    You aren't going to need much in the way of insulation in the summertime down here, that's for sure.

I hung a hammock yesterday for a little while while it was in the mid 60s and breezy. I was glad to have my 3-season, 2/3-length underquilt (KAQ Lost River). I didn't have any top cover of any kind with me, but some would have been welcome.

Like CheckenWing said, hang whatever tarp you use high to get that ventilation.

Chris

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    we get some pretty heavy dew in the warmer months so i still use the tarp, sometimes i will use my poncho liner as an underquilt when the temps are around 65 -70 overnight

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Things needed to camp in Southern Summer........bugnet, tarp: pitched high in porch mode catching what wind there may be and a small army of loyal friends willing to fan you while you lounge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quite frankly, I hibernate in front of the air conditioning vent here in Florida, all summer. I will only camp in winter this far south. I fly to cooler places that have mountains at least once every summer. I just can't bear the heat & humidity
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I jst use a poncho liner as a top quilt in the summer. I found if I wait till almost dark to bath (whatever that means where I camp) that it cools me off enough to go be comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast