Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images

switching to buckles on ENO?

ONe more question, I'm switching to using buckles instead of the slap straps. I'm most use the prusic knot on the buckle but what knot should I use to attach it to the existing loop on the hammock. I'm looking at doing that instead of redoing the whole loop set up. Any suggestions/comments??

I am assuming cinch buckles and not ring buckles - without untying the loop on the ENO you can attach the buckle with a Lark's head knot but to keep the buckle centered you will probably need to wrap some additional cord on each side of the Lark's Head. If you are talking ring buckles just use the Lark's head knot.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images

oh yeah

Yes, cinch buckle.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I am assuming cinch buckles and not ring buckles - without untying the loop on the ENO you can attach the buckle with a Lark's head knot but to keep the buckle centered you will probably need to wrap some additional cord on each side of the Lark's Head. If you are talking ring buckles just use the Lark's head knot.
    HOI, I think you'll find that the cord that comes with the ENO's is too large in diameter to tie a proper prussik through the cinch buckle.

I find that it's preferrable to use a smaller diameter cord (this example uses 3.8mm Spyderline) and tie a double prussik on the buckle (pic1, pic2), then run both of the loose ends of your cord through the end channel of the ENO and tie both of them (as if they were a single strand) back to the buckle end using a bowline knot (pic3). I've used that method on several hammocks and it works very well.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images
    ACtually I wasn't going to use the present rope to do the prussick with. I got some spiderline your talking about coming. I was thinking a prussic with the spiderline and just attach that to the stock loops on the hommock instead of where they have the big heavy biner. That make since. Basically cause I had no clue about taking the stock rope out of the hammack and replacing it....lol

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    HOI, I think you'll find that the cord that comes with the ENO's is too large in diameter to tie a proper prussik through the cinch buckle.

I find that it's preferrable to use a smaller diameter cord (this example uses 3.8mm Spyderline) and tie a double prussik on the buckle (pic1, pic2), then run both of the loose ends of your cord through the end channel of the ENO and tie both of them (as if they were a single strand) back to the buckle end using a bowline knot (pic3). I've used that method on several hammocks and it works very well.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeper View Post
    Basically cause I had no clue about taking the stock rope out of the hammack and replacing it....lol
    It's just a knot tied in the stock rope, so it's no problem to simply remove. I think replacing it makes for a simpler/cleaner installation.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images

No kidding

Thanks! I'll have to look in to it more. I hope to have everything in by Wed. I'll have plenty of rope so I may do that.

Think the bowline will hold up 250lb ok? I'd hate to leave a crater......

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeper View Post
    Thanks! I'll have to look in to it more. I hope to have everything in by Wed. I'll have plenty of rope so I may do that.

Think the bowline will hold up 250lb ok? I'd hate to leave a crater......
    Certainly. Properly tied, a bowline knot won't slip.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Who said any thing about a prussik knot? I said attach with a Lark's Head (aka cow hitch aka girth hitch etc.) - this is something that I have done with a cinch buckle and a Trek Light hammock. That said keeping the knot centered was a bit of a problem and just wrapping a separate piece of cord on each side of the knot in the cinch buckle will probably keep the knot from shifting - this is however something that I have not tried since after some work I was able to get the knot to stay centered without the extra cord.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Who said any thing about a prussik knot? I said attach with a Lark's Head..
    Sorry. I apparently had a mental block when I read your post.

• + New Posts