First hammock experience questions

I just bought my first hammock. It is a Tenth Wonder Ultralight

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-U...-/370497668643

I chose it mainly due to the weight but also the low cost as it is just a trial at this stage. The hammock is just single layer with a gathered end by tape through a channel.

I have just set it up on a garden hammock stand and I am surprised at how slack the sides are. You can see this on the pics on the ebay link but it didn't register at the time. I assume it must be the same same with all similar hammocks though.

If I lie straight my feet fall either side of the taut centre. I tried lying at an angle as I have seen recommended and it was reasonably flat. However, instead of being cocooned as I expected I could see the possibility of rolling in my sleep and falling out of the side which I have never seen mentioned and thought was probably impossible.

Tried my 3/4 pad in it and if anything it felt a bit more unstable somehow. Started with the hammock horizontal before I got in.

Will have to experiment a bit more but not sure if this will suit me at the moment. I was thinking of trying to sleep in it tonight but I am a bit worried about falling out of it now. Has anyone fallen out of their hammock in the night?

Is the slack sides normal or is it the way I have hung it?

thanks

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I'm not sure how it's gathered but it looks like you might have to unwrap it and then try the method from Just Jeff's site. This is what I have and the sides don't flap around like you're describing. Do it and post some pics so we can see!

Also, I think it stated that it comes with nylon straps for the trees. Those will eventually land you on your bottom. Might want to try polyester tree straps.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ....Or try Knotty's modification: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29560
    It is a curable problem.
    Re-Whipping also helps.....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Do you know how long the hammock is? From the picture it is looking fairly short. This may make it harder to get a comfortable diagonal lay.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The DD has a channeled end (like the eno's). Whipping it differently might not be a solution.

Try some sag, as stated "I hung the hammock horizontal". Hammocks do best with some droop.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Thanks for the replies. I think I was using the wrong term by saying it was a gathered end. It has the material folded and sewn to form a channel and then the tape goes through that.

I have formed a theory of why the sides may be floppy. As it is only single skin and the material is thin it bunches up at the bottom of the tape loop more than the pics I have seen of similar hammocks. I wonder if the material of the channel had more bulk from being thicker or doubled the edges would be further up the tape loop and this would in effect shorten and tighten the edges? I may try some experiments to see if this is right. If so it would just require some extra material sewn over the end to make the channel thicker.

I did sleep in it last night and didn't fall out. Not convinced yet that it will be more comfortable for me than sleeping on the ground as I usually sleep on my front. I will probably have a bit more of a play and then try to get a night outside in it to get the full hammocking experience.

• + New Posts