Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    I converted my no net DIY to one with a net. Check out the photos. Mule
    Mule, awesome job. That hammock is so nice, I gotta have one. How did you do the end channels? Is there a reinforcement in them? Do you think it could be made with a single layer of 1.9oz ripstop instead of double-bottom?

Just this weekend my wife said she was going to reclaim the dining room table after I'm finished with my down UQ. I cannot let that happen. Thanks for giving me a new project!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That looks great Mule. Congrats on getting it done.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Congratulations, Mule !
    Man that looks really great!

Perkolady

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Mule, awesome job. That hammock is so nice, I gotta have one. How did you do the end channels? Is there a reinforcement in them? Do you think it could be made with a single layer of 1.9oz ripstop instead of double-bottom?

Just this weekend my wife said she was going to reclaim the dining room table after I'm finished with my down UQ. I cannot let that happen. Thanks for giving me a new project!
    Schn.... Thanks, It would be easy to make one of these if I'd put the net on as I was making it instead of adding it later. The bugnet is exactly the same size and shape as the double bottom body. I think you need a double layer to support the stitches you will put in the end channels. Yoiu will love the double bottom anyway IMHO. I put in about four times as many lines of stitches as does Claytor but with the same or a little more fold over. Yes there are web reinforcements on the four corners where you fold it over to make the channel.
    The ribbon used to reinforce the bugnet is 35 inches from center both ways, and the loops are four inches apart going out to one in the middle and two more at 4 and 8 inches on each side making them a total of 16 inches for the spreader bars on the net.
    Good luck and let me know what I can do to help you. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Mule, thanks for the dimensions.

I am not sure I want the double-bottom. I am working on a down UQ to get away from pads. Is there any advantage to the double-bottom outside of keeping pads in place?

I am concerned about doubling the weight of the hammock with a double-bottom that I may not really need. Do you think it would be possible to use 1.1oz ripstop instead of 1.9oz and keep the weight about the same? Not sure if that would reduce the problem with the stitching, since the 1.1oz is weaker.

Or would it be possible to use a double layer of fabric just at the ends to distribute the stress?

Has anybody made a single-layer hammock with end channels?

Images
    yes, and you should be fine.
    I did a 4'X10' and it worked well.
    So you don't need a double bottom.
    Advantages of having one would be a little extra protection in the upper 60s, mosquito protection, and the latest thing, you could use a pad under the legs and quilt under torso...
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

I am not sure I want the double-bottom. I am working on a down UQ to get away from pads. Is there any advantage to the double-bottom outside of keeping pads in place?

I am concerned about doubling the weight of the hammock with a double-bottom that I may not really need. Do you think it would be possible to use 1.1oz ripstop instead of 1.9oz and keep the weight about the same? Not sure if that would reduce the problem with the stitching, since the 1.1oz is weaker.

Or would it be possible to use a double layer of fabric just at the ends to distribute the stress?

I agree with schrochem on this and the idea of doubling up only on the ends seems like a good one. You would add about 5 ounces by having a double bottom completely, but just my opinion, the versatility outweighs the weight. For one, the one thing I do not want to fail me is my hammock, above all. Also, the bug protection is important. I plan to add a piece of Tyvek between the layers if needed. I do think single layer can be done though especially if you double up around the ends. another way to get mosquito proofed would be to add a layer of mosquito netting in the form of an underquilt made of mosquito netting and allow it to sag below the hammock. Whatever you do will surely be successful, no matter what it is. That's what makes all of you so interesting, nobody does things the same. It's refreshing! Mule

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Mule, AWESOME JOB !!! I have a Claytor and I couldn't tell tham apart except for the color ! I have ordered the material from OWF to make my version of a Claytor. I will be very happy if mine turns out as well as yours has.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Great, let us know how it comes out. Mule

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images

Remember that the Claytor is a waterproof hammock so a breathable liner makes sense. If you are making your own, you could use 1.9 breathable ripstop. As mentioned already though, I would beef-up the stitching on the channel ends. jmho
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast