Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Scoutmaster, troop 586, Ashland Ohio. At this point I am the only hanger, but I just upgraded from a $25 hammock with netting to a WBBB 1.0 DL, so my son may start trying it out (using my hand-me-down).

I've been hanging for about a year now, but I think there may be only 4 campouts where I have hung my hammock (we camp every month). Between inside winter camping and open heart surgery last summer for an aortic dissection I've missed out on a few campouts, but I should be getting back into it full-time again. This weekend we are going to Shawnee State Forest in southern Ohio.

Don

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Scoutmaster, Troop 423 in Durham, NC. 1 of 4 adults (me) and 7 of 24 scouts. Haven't used a tent in 2 years except for summer camp, where the tents are huge and have cots.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Cubmaster, Pack 4036 in New Albany, IN. The past 2 years at Webelos Resident Camp my son and I were both the only ones hammock camping.

My son just crossed over to the troop where I have heard that there are a number of boys that have hammocked in the past, but i don't know any details... yet.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dead View Post
    Scoutmaster, Troop 423 in Durham, NC. 1 of 4 adults (me) and 7 of 24 scouts. Haven't used a tent in 2 years except for summer camp, where the tents are huge and have cots.
    I hung last year at summer camp, it was better than the cots we have at Camp Wakpominee, there not big on comfort, actualy they are not big at allwhich may explain the lack of comfort.
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Too bad the GSS prohibits me cooking on my DIY supercat stove.
    Made me go check out the new GSS.

It looks like I could make a case for my Caldera Cone alcohol stove since it is commercially manufactured and although the fuel is not recommended it does not seem to be prohibited.

I won't bring my Zelph Super Stove since alcohol can stoves are called out as an example of prohibited stoves even though I could see an argument that it is commercially produced using recycled materials...

Thanks for the heads up...

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    BearPawTent
    Insulation
    SS Winternest
    Images
    Scout Leader 1st Clayton Park, Halifax Nova Scotia. I am the only one so far

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    ASM 404, member of District Committee. Met Tom Hennessey at World Jambo 07 in England. He gave me a DVD and when I got back to the states, I looked at it. He was giving a jambo discount at the time and I said what the heck, I'll give it a try. Bought me and my son one and we were hooked. We were asked a lot of questions at almost every camporee we attended. So I don't know how many I converted but its a lot. In the troop now there are 5 hangers plus. Since that chance meeting in England, I haven't been happier camping.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxhack View Post
    I won't bring my Zelph Super Stove since alcohol can stoves are called out as an example of prohibited stoves even though I could see an argument that it is commercially produced using recycled materials...
    That's the stove I use.

I may soon be prohibited from attending any Scouting related backcountry trips because I don't fall within the BSA's acceptable height/weight chart. My annual phyisical is coming up in May. Unless I reach 214 lbs, I may have to part ways with the Troop. It'll be a sad day for me.

From the new BSA medical form - "If you exceed the maximum weight for height as explained on this page and your planned high-adventure activity will take you more than 30 minutes away from an emergency vehicle–accessible roadway, you will not be allowed to participate."

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I had to go check the GSS as well. Building our own pop-can stoves is always a big highlight with the scouts and a good recruiting activities for Webelos nights. We'll miss that activity.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    On the alcohol stoves, I don't know how many classes I have had on making cat can stoves. They say you can use it if commercially made, but frown on use of alcohol. I know the side jet pepsi stove was made up by a scouter. You all have hit the nail on the head. What about the buddy burners that use a tuna can and cardboard/parafin wax for fuel. Is that banned as well. I still have the one I built as a Webelo from back in the sixties (man I am old)? Opens up a whole can of worms don't it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast