Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problems getting out of my hammock

Any tips on how to get out of my hammock?

I am currently turning perpendicular to my hammock. attempting to get into a sitting position with my feet under me. Then i try to lean forward and stand up.

The end result is not very dignified looking. I resemble a turtle stuck on its back. Most attempts to lean forward end with me falling baclwards again.

I have a double wide hammock where the sides are definitely taller than the middle. And a typical hang height puts me about 9 inches(shortest distance) off the floor. I'm built like a sumo wrestler. Deep squats to a full stance do not come easily for me.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    If you are hanging on trees walk backwards after you are in a sitting position. If you are on a stand don't do that. I don't have an answer for stands except hang your hammock higher if possible.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    You are NOT alone! I have the same exit problem. Every few months someone posts with the same issue, butt lower than feet. My shoulders dislocate which means I am unable to push up on the sides of the hammock. I tried tying an extra line to a tree nearby to get added lift. Not a successfully. Papa Smurf suggested a pull attatchment to the end of the hammock, that is too dangerous with my shoulders.

My answer is two fold. Enter Bridge hammock. Second is short and narrower. I have a Simply Light Designs hammock that is cat. Cut, I pop right out of it with dignity in tact. The cat. cut sides get rid of the climb out factor for me. I am on the short side, shorter hammocks fit my needs best, plus I prefer minimal enclosure. The UL HH is another hammock I pop out of. Bridge hammocks are easy exit, heavy, require more parts and space.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
    If you are hanging on trees walk backwards after you are in a sitting position.
    At first I thought you were complaining that it was just too comfortable to get out of your hammock! LOL

For actual exit, do what chigger said.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    There are a number of benefits to a true structural ridgeline. One is being able to put a short loop of 1" webbing on it to use as an overhead grab strap.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could also consider a bottom entry Hennsy hammock......https://hennessyhammock.com/products...e-asym-classic
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    9 inches off the floor is a problem. Because you said "floor" and not "ground", I'm guessing you are inside and don't have the option of raising your hammock higher. When I can, I try to rig mine as high as a chair - about 18 inches. Then I just turn sideways, put my feet over the edge, and stand up. When I have to hang lower, I make sure I put one hand on each edge of the the hammock (front and back of me when I'm sideways) for stability.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    9 inches off the floor is a problem. Because you said "floor" and not "ground", I'm guessing you are inside and don't have the option of raising your hammock higher. When I can, I try to rig mine as high as a chair - about 18 inches. Then I just turn sideways, put my feet over the edge, and stand up. When I have to hang lower, I make sure I put one hand on each edge of the the hammock (front and back of me when I'm sideways) for stability.
    ^^^ I'll second that it's too low.

I'm built like an anti-summo wrestler and I have a hard time getting in/out if it's too close the floor/ground. If you can't get it higher, lower it as much as practical so you can roll out onto your knees. If necessary, do the reverse to get in. Of course make certain the insulation isn't making contact. Except for backpacking, it's much better for your knees if you have some kind of rubber cushion for a landing strip. Those thick soft mats for standing on for long periods are great knee savers.

Having said all that, I would first exhaust every avenue to raise it higher.

Thank you. I will raise it higher whenever I can.

However, I'm also testing a turtle lady stand for a Scout jamboree this summer. My goal is to keep the hammock low so I can minimize how much space it takes.

I like the hands on both sides idea, almost like steadying a canoe.

I think I will experiment with driving a post into the ground on my entrance side. I can see multiple uses for it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Due to a medical issue, I have limited to no core strength. I went with a Hennessy classic entry. Problem solved.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast