Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    I know that hanging has caught on in my district. Myself, and three other adult members of my District Committee are hangers, a fourth (my Boy Scout Activities Chair) will be joining us. It's spreading like wildfire through our summer camp programs. Many of the boys in many of my troops and packs are hangers. How many I couldn't say for certain.

As for the subject of alcohol stoves. The Guide to Safe Scouting states the following

"Prohibited chemical-fueled equipment—Equipment that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed beyond the manufacturer’s stated design limitations or use. Examples include alcohol-burning “can” stoves, smudge pots, improperly installed heaters, and propane burners with their regulators removed."

I would take that to mean that any alcohol stove made from 're purposed' materials would be prohibited, regardless of who made it or where you bought it. I think any of our cottage made stoves would also be disqualified; such as all those made by mini-bull designs. Since these are essentially home made stoves. The only example of an alcohol stove I can think of that might be considered permitted in the scouting world would be the Trangia series of alcohol stoves. Of course, you would have to use it with the provided windscreen and pot stand as well, since that would have been the manufacturer's stated use.

Quote Originally Posted by TriSec View Post
    Say guys, as the District Man here, (Training Chairman, SOL District, Boston Minuteman Council) regarding this whole alcohol stove issue?

I say bah. I'd keep my nose clean if I was going to a Council event or a BSA camp, but with the troop out on their own - go for it.

Of course, if your Council is a little more hardline than ours, if something goes wrong they could deny the insurance coverage (and that's what the new rules are all about), so take this under advisement.
    As for using these at the Troop level, you are playing with fire here. IF ANYTHING goes wrong . . . I just wouldn't. It isn't worth the risk.
    Last edited by Lupus; 12-28-2012 at 20:44.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I didn't go back and read my previous post to this thread, but I am now, officially the Scout Master of Troop 173, Bowling Green, VA. Was an Assistant.

I am the only one hanging, but finally got one of the other leaders interested. We had a Court of Honor back in Sept. and I brought a hammock for them to try. Those that did, loved it. Almost had to fight to get it back....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    I know that hanging has caught on in my district. Myself, and three other adult members of my District Committee are hangers, a fourth (my Boy Scout Activities Chair) will be joining us. It's spreading like wildfire through our summer camp programs. Many of the boys in many of my troops and packs are hangers. How many I couldn't say for certain.

As for the subject of alcohol stoves. The Guide to Safe Scouting states the following

"Prohibited chemical-fueled equipment—Equipment that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed beyond the manufacturer’s stated design limitations or use. Examples include alcohol-burning “can” stoves, smudge pots, improperly installed heaters, and propane burners with their regulators removed."

I would take that to mean that any alcohol stove made from 're purposed' materials would be prohibited, regardless of who made it or where you bought it. I think any of our cottage made stoves would also be disqualified; such as all those made by mini-bull designs. Since these are essentially home made stoves. The only example of an alcohol stove I can think of that might be considered permitted in the scouting world would be the Trangia series of alcohol stoves. Of course, you would have to use it with the provided windscreen and pot stand as well, since that would have been the manufacturer's stated use.

As for using these at the Troop level, you are playing with fire here. IF ANYTHING goes wrong . . . I just wouldn't. It isn't worth the risk.
    I unfortunately agree. Though I have been known to have used one from time to time on a scout function. It doesn't take much to have an accident of which I found out not too long ago on a trip my wife and I took. Luckily no one was hurt other the. Putting a burn hole in my UQ. I have now reconsidered my position on using them on scout functions. If we/I can have an accident imagine what the kids can do!!
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    One of our asst SM, and myself had both used alky stoves, then saw the Guide to Safe Scouting and the policy, so no longer used. But I can still use them when out by myself, or with my kids.

They can be dangerous, I was using one, and wasn't being careful, tipped it over. Lucky that nothing was burned, but my pride. Proved to me that the boys shouldn't by using them.

But nothing in the GtSS about using wood stoves, my new favorite way to cook. And I would like to get a svea123 stove.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    One of our asst SM, and myself had both used alky stoves, then saw the Guide to Safe Scouting and the policy, so no longer used. But I can still use them when out by myself, or with my kids.

They can be dangerous, I was using one, and wasn't being careful, tipped it over. Lucky that nothing was burned, but my pride. Proved to me that the boys shouldn't by using them.

But nothing in the GtSS about using wood stoves, my new favorite way to cook. And I would like to get a svea123 stove.....RR
    I'm all for not using them on scout outings, too - seeing how close we can get to the line without going over isn't really in the spirit of things.

That being said, all stoves can be dangerous when we or scouts or we lose focus. Alcohol is tough as the flame is mostly invisible but all still have flames nd white gas requires priming. And, boiling hot water tipping over can create burns as quickly as a flame.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post

I know how you feel about the wood stoves. I just built a wood gas wood stove using instructions that Dejoha posted up. It is a nice little stove. Plus I also have the one from Emberlite Ti that I like using as well.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DutchWare Netless
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Spikes
    I guess it's time to revive this old thread...

Troop 326, Martinsville, Virginia. As Jimbo said earlier (years ago) more than half our adults sleep in the trees and often up to half the Scouts. Our Troop actually owns half a dozen hammocks for the Scouts to use until they decide they want to get one.

Hammock
    Chillax Double, Homemade Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY 2mil Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Troop 405 in Durham, NC. It's slowly growing on them. Once they see how fast our setup and take down is they express interest.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl lyr HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane Hex
    Insulation
    DIY EE 850fp Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Adult committee chair and second adult from T3 in Corvallis, OR. We have about 25 scouts. Three youth and two adults hang. I am new to hanging myself.

I am also the Venture Crew#2003 Adviser. It is just one youth and myself hanging.
    --
    moniquews

Adults are obsolete children. ~Dr. Seuss

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Troop 108, Kendallville, IN. So far just my son and I hang, but we're making hammocks for the other boys. We should all be hanging by the end of the summer!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast