Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    If gov shuts down there wont be any refund checks

This is particularly worrisom for me as a government contractor, if they stop paying my company they may stop paying me since I will not be coming into work
    i hear that slo, i'm AD military and even though i don't think my govt. would ever NOT pay me, i'm being told it's a real threat right now.

Fronkey, every year in Oct begins what is called fiscal year. Congress passes the federal budget during that time (usually). we are still waiting on congress to come to terms that they can agree upon, finalize the budget, and sign it. until then federal money is on a freeze which means all federal employees are at risk of not getting paid. i suspect that if it doesn't get signed by tomorrow at midnight congress will work through the weekend to get it done. i have great faith in our country, it's not always easy to do so but my faith still remains

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    No gates to close at RRG. You should be fine there. I'd still plan on buying a parking pass on the chance that someone still makes the rounds...

PS: be careful around the clifflines. Sounds like there may not be any rangers to come to the rescue....

I could swear there was a gate for Tunnel Ridge Road? and one down to the Rock Bridge Area? Or I could be crazy? We defiantly are getting the pass though, with our luck they will have local law enforcement make the rounds and we will get a big fat ticket. Besides, the money does go to the gorge and they have make some nice improvements to the area.

You did ruin our fun, we were going to drink lots of beer, shoot off our guns and then fall of a cliff - isn't that what you do in the gorge?
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissa View Post
    So Friday at midnight if all goes the same the government will be shut down. From what I have researched this will include all National Parks - the gates will be locked.
    So think of it as a free pass weekend - park outside the gate and hike in, no entrance fees
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Quote Originally Posted by Krissa View Post
    So Friday at midnight if all goes the same the government will be shut down. From what I have researched this will include all National Parks - the gates will be locked.

I was planning on having my first hang this weekend at Red River Gorge, which is federally owned. Hopefully they will not close the gates. I am going to call tomorrow morning and see what they are planning to do. We have a state park in Indiana as our backup.

Just wanted to send a heads-up to anyone planning on trips to federal land any time soon.
    RRG isn't a National Park, it is a National Forest
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    RRG isn't a National Park, it is a National Forest
    Its federal land so who knows how these things work out
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    bring bolt cutters-- hack saw--

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Ok, guys, lets let a little truth in here, military members will be paid, albeit back paid in two weeks, by law. Forest rangers will also be back paid, however they will still be there, for law enforcement purposes. We went through this with Clinton, remember?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    For what I pay out in federal taxes my national park had better be open this weekend unless the government plans on giving me a larger tax refund as compensation for ruining my long weekend off. I don't get a break on my taxes the government expects me to pay and I expect them to do their jobs thats what I pay taxes for.
    You must be part of a minority group - those who actually pay federal income taxes. Better watch what you wish for. Their job is to extract as much money as they can from 49% of the population which apparently includes you.

If I thought a government shutdown meant that the government would stop spending and stop deficit spending then I would be all for it.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Guys, as tempting as it may be, please don't go there. Please. OG
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Just be alert and check that your intended facility will be open before you head that way.

All other speculation of who, how and why belong over on Drudge, CNN, MSNBC and Fox, they all have websites full of talk and with little selection you can find one that you agree with.

Check with the park you're headed to and ensure that its facilities will be open.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast