Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

First impressions of new gear.

My friend and I just returned from an eight day backpacking trip in north central PA. I was trying out four major purchases during this trip and thought I'd give my intial impressions.

The weather was lousy to put it mildly. It rained or snowed to some degree almost daily with heavy downpours and lightening for a day and a half. Night temps ranged from mid 20s to mid 30s and day temps were mostly in the high to mid 40s. The ground ranged from wet and muddy to a foot of snow.

I was testing out for the first time an OES MacCat Deluxe tarp, a Hammock Gear three season Incubator UQ, a WBBB 1.0 dbl and an Aarn Natural balance backpack. We car camped the first night so we could determine the minimum amount of gear we could get away with. I left the next day (with some reservation) with a 30 degree Western Mountaineering bag and the Hammock Gear UQ. I did throw in a couple of extra articles of clothing but not much.

I'll start with the Aarn. My full weight including everything was about 28 lbs. Without a doubt this was the most comfortable pack I've worn.. I loved the way the front bags balance the pack front to back. It's also the first time I've had zero issues with my hip bone. Very comfortable. The only hassle was deciding what to put in the front backs. Pretty much I put most of my food, snacks and all the other little doodads we carry. OH...and did I mention all my precious down products stayed bone dry for all those days thanks to the Aarn built in but removable waterproof liner. I hauled a trash can liner but never used it. Loving my Aarn.

On to the Hammock Gear 3 Season Incubator. Coming from a homemade synthetic UQ I was rather dubious about the Incubator's claims of a 20 degree rating. That's why we car camped the first night with temps about 28. I was extremely pleased with the results. I was toasty all night with just the Incubator and the 30 degree bag. I already had faith in the bag. I decided I'd leave the pads in the car and rely totally on the Incubator. I was never cold the entire trip. I love the oh so simple suspension system and found it to be tight enough as it came from Hammock Gear. I also very much liked the way it slides back and forth on the bungee cord. I did add a short line to hold it in place on the foot end to prevent it from slipping toward the lower head end. It stayed put. I didn't run any lines from side to side over the ridge line as I didn't feel it was necessary. I do think it's another great feature. I did fluff it out each time I removed it from the pack and it lofted beautifully. Loving my 3 Season Incubator form Hammock Gear.

The OES MacCat Deluxe Tarp did a superb job of keeping everything totally dry. It stayed taut in even the heaviest of rains. Not much to elaborate on other than it's a quality item that gives plenty of coverage. Loving my tarp from OES.

Last but not least my new WBBB. I debated if I should leave the BB at home and take my Clark NX 250, especially considering the weather forecast. A desire for low pack weight, less volume and my natural curiosity won out. I did bring a Neet Sheat and some clips to act as a weather shield if needed. I used it a couple of nights and it made a difference. Had a little condensation on the netting after the night of heavy rain. I was very happy with the Blackbird. Very easy to set up and absolutely the most spacious and comfortable hammock I've owned. Did I mention the shelf.....I LOVE that thing. Throw it in there and forget it! I did have a bit of a time occasionally with the strap buckles. (or whatever they are called), but was always able to adjust them. I also can't seem to get the ridgeline just right. It always seems to be too tight regardless of how I position the straps on the tree. What is the secret? Almost forgot the footbox...I like it very much as it prevents the dreaded leg lock I've experienced in some hammocks. The bottom material comes up and suppoprts you right under the knees.....just where you need it. I am loving my WBBB!

A couple of other items I should mention were the Steripen and Micro Spikes.
    The SteriPen failed me again due to batteries. Maybe I just bought a bad batch but I'm rapidly losing faith. The Micro Spikes were awesome when we bushwacked up a very steep snow and ice covered hill.

There you have it...a 100% batting average with my new gear. I of course owe that to the sage advice and reviews of gear right here on Hammock Forums. Here are a few pics.

Miguel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks for your time-- I can't believe you have a Clark 250 and spent the $ to buy another hammock. Seems like the Clark is the end all be all hammock.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
    Thanks for your time-- I can't believe you have a Clark 250 and spent the $ to buy another hammock. Seems like the Clark is the end all be all hammock.
    I assume that you are not a backpacker. The WBBB weight slightly more that half of the NX250 and packs down accordingly .... nuff said
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Great Report and picts. Is top row #4 your Aarn?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I am a backpacker-- I just dont stress out about a few ounces, I'd rather train harder. nuff said
    Last edited by GIHanger; 04-09-2011 at 21:09.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Great report & gear review. I used my MacCat Deluxe last summer and loved it. I have since added 2QZQ doors to it, so it should be pretty much perfect. I haven't been out with my new 3 Season Incubator & Burrow yet. Good to see that you stayed nice and warm in it, and that it was easy to use.
    KJ

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Your steripen may have been suffering from the cold weather. Mine Was giving the sad face last fall when temps were around freezing.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    Did you find that the front pockets of the Aarn ever got in the way? They didn't rub your arms or anything? I like the look of these packs and am considering one.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
    Too heavy, too bulky. It's my winter hammock. The NX 250 is overkill for most of the year...especially when backpacking.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Great Report and picts. Is top row #4 your Aarn?
    Yes....it is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast