Hatteras model, any good?

Hi all. New to hammock hiking here and I've been checking out some different models and accessories. Being my 1st hammock, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive kind with a build in bug net. I ran across http://hammockcompany.com/detail.php?id=HOC1RGM . It's price is great, though I could afford to spend a little bit more if there are any better suggestions out there.

This type doesn't look like a good candidate for much modification, but a tarp could easily be thrown over and staked down without dealing with more poles or rope (weight). Let me know what you all think.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It would be nice to know what you are getting when you buy it. The description says it ways 2.75 pounds, the specs give two other weights but still over 2#. The description says 210D nylon (there are backpacks out there made of lighter material that that) the side description cites 70 D nylon. Which is it? The hammock bed is <9' the hanging distance is 10'12 feet. Both much shorter than the majority of the rigs you find represented here. Most have a bed length of at least 10'

IMO you would be better off with the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro price wise. It weighs 28 oz.($79.00 from the manufacturer)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Yeah that's a good question. I looked at the specs again, and it does say 70D and 210D. Not that I know what any of those numbers mean mind you. Not a fan of the Skeeter Beater honestly. I'd have to buy more accessories and stuff with that one. By the way... what is the "D" with the nylon? Also, I'm only 5'11, an 8 foot bed shouldn't be a problem, would it?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    You could buy a Eno and make a bugnet for way cheaper if you don't like the skeeter beater..
    The D stands for denier....a measurement of thickness/weight of a material...or at least nylon, silk, rayon, etc.
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcsandSparks View Post
    The D stands for denier....a measurement of thickness/weight of a material...or at least nylon, silk, rayon, etc.
    Denier is more related to thread thickness than fabric weight. While the two are related tangentially it is not a direct relationship. Denier is the thickness of the thread used. Different threads per inch count will create different weights.

I suggested the Skeeter Beeter only for a price comparison. Skeeter Beeter has a built in net. Component wise I don't see a difference There are certainly other options. HH and Warbonnet would be excellent choices but are significantly more expensive. However for the price and components I think the Skeeter Beeter is the best option without doing a piecemeal buy.

Length of the hammock bed is a strange thing. The longer the bed the more width you can spread the hammock to in the sweet sleeping space. In other words a 10' bed will let you gain a better flat diagonal lie than an 9' bed length. I'm 5'10" and wouldn't consider anything shorter than 10'. But those are highly personal choices.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts