Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps

Angry How do You do Pea Pods?

After attempting a pea pod with my ENO single nest, I have a question: HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I noticed a huge space below my butt where the sleeping bag was over a foot away from the underside of the hammock. Also, I couldn't keep the open part of my mummy bag where i wanted it. I either had too cram myself into the foot end of the hammock or just live with the fact that it would hang below my shoulders.
    One more thing, there was a definite draft when the wind blows just so. I know that can't be right. How do you seal the foot and head (or in my case torso) ends without running the risk of tearing the bag itself?

Please share with me your tips and secrets O gods of all that is warm and pod-like.
    leap and the net will appear
    -zen saying

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my response in video....... might help some. I had no gaps but did have a UQ in there with me.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

tuck in a close cell foam (blue cheapo walmart) pad int he under you and it should help.. A lot of it is experimenting and troubleshooting as you go.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Shockcord for a suspension. It'll help draw up the bag under you, gravity will allow the bag to fill the voids on top.

What bag? Not all bags are suited for this purpose.

A drawstring channel at the head end will help seal the bag to the occupied hammock.
    Take a look in my gallery for some pics of a modified mummy bag I did.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    well, I have only used the commercial version of a Speer Peapod, so I can't give much help when it comes to using a sleeping bag for that purpose. As Shug and several of the others have done so successfully.

But the first thing that comes to mind is: it seems like you're going to need some sort of suspension, even if it is only some nylon cord on the bags/pods ends, such as is used on the Speer Peapod. In other words, if I let my Peapod just hang however it seemed to fall without tightening up the nylon cords on the end, I would also have a rather huge gap underneath me. But by using the nylon cords to pull the ends of the Peapod closer to the ends of the hammock, I end up with about the appropriate fit. Plus these cords allow me to cinch it all down on the ends, "sealing" the ends closed. Now mind you, there is - before I get in- still always some gap(6"?) under the hammock – left there on purpose. Because when I get in, the hammock will sink (sag) a good bit more than the pod which is tied to the hammock ends. So what I'm shooting for is that once the hammock sags all that is going to, I end up just about in contact with the inside of the Peapod on the bottom. If there is still too much of a gap, I have to get out and tighten up the Peapod some more – in other words pulling the pods end closer to the end of the hammock. But if it is too tight and I am compressing some of the loft, then I have to loosen it up to give it a little bit more.

I can't help you with the hanging under the shoulder problems. The Peapod is tapered on both ends and completely surrounds the hammock from one end to the other. So if you close the Peapod's Velcro all the way, then the hammock is 100% completely enclosed. A sleeping bag that has a hood would obviously work somewhat different. But hang in there! Assuming your sleeping bag is big enough to start with, you should be able to work it out. Several people have and have been rewarded with some extremely warm sleeps. If you haven't already, watch Shug's videos.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LeighLo Summer UQ
    Suspension
    Whuppah Slangs
    Still a noob, nowhere near an expert, so take this with a grain of salt. I just might get around to trying the pod style one winter* so I've thunk on this once or twice. I do have a UQ (LeighLo 3-Season 2/3) which I would use but let's say I didn't.

I figure I'd use some light cord (say Kelty Triptease) with a heavy binder clip on each end. String it loosely over the ridge line, clip the ends to the bag underneath the zipper channel (assuming the bag is laid out with the zipper parallel to the ground, like when sleeping on a pad), get in the hammock and tighten as necessary (assuming I used a movable or adjustable knot). This would hold it beneath me close enough to eliminate a gap. I'd probably need to do this at the head, middle and foot sections. It shouldn't be so tight as to compress the loft of the bag, just to hold it up against my backside.

After an overnight backyard hang or two to prove it out, I'd sew some loops on the bag, ditch the binder clips and Triptease and use cord locks and shock cord.

Again, I'm not a pro. Just thinking out loud.

*I've probably watched Shug's Pod videos about a dozen times. I laugh each time at the "freeze an eyeball" bit.
    “In a perfect world, you and I wouldn't exist. So let's not hope for one.” - Ze Frank
    pinemountaintrail.org | madebymillcreek.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LeighLo Summer UQ
    Suspension
    Whuppah Slangs
    Actually, now that I've thought about it, you could probably get away with the "tensioners" on just the ends. LeighLo's UQ does that very thing. I run them up to the head and foot end of the hammock and clip them. It gets some horizontal and vertical tension, holding the UQ in a good spot.

HangnOut has pointed out to me that there are better techniques involving a ridge line but I haven't gotten around to trying them yet.
    “In a perfect world, you and I wouldn't exist. So let's not hope for one.” - Ze Frank
    pinemountaintrail.org | madebymillcreek.com

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out when I get the chance. Not so sure about the under quilt AND bag though. It doesn't get that cold around here and I'm always a cheapskate. I'm really confused about what all yall mean about the suspension. Maybe MY definition is askew Also, I'm trying to avoid pads if possible. I like things quick, simple, and effective.
    Hicker9,
    I guess I'll try threading a low ridge line through the bag to get it a little closer (that'd be great for fine tuning in my mind). I'm only looking for bottom insulation anyway. Not entirely sure that exactly what you meant< but thanks for giving me the brain-child!
    Shug,
    I've seen that video before (along with just about all the others). However that was a while ago. I'll give it a second look sometime. maybe I'll catch something I didn't before.
    BillyBob58,
    I briefly looked at the speer pod. It seems like a great system but it might be a little claustrophobic and (good lord!) expensive for me. But I suppose I could be persuaded; after all, I'm putty in the media's hands.

P.S. That is a loooong reply!!! (well... at least for me... right now)
    Last edited by grey721; 04-11-2011 at 16:40. Reason: My P.S. was wrong, you guys topped me
    leap and the net will appear
    -zen saying

• + New Posts