WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Moto camp on the Upper Kern.

Well this is not an epic HR, only an overnighter, but it was my first in the wild (well, wilder than my backyard). The plan was a shakedown for my motorcycle with camp kit on it. I took the WBBB with the AHE NR DW and used a 20 degree sleeping bag. The tarp was the Kelty 12x12. Meals? Well I travel with jerky, dried fruit, and English tea makings but, as you will see, some resterant stops were on the agenda.

So first the camp;
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks like someone is enjoying their retirement. Glad you're getting out there and having some fun. Thanks for posting.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Looks like someone is enjoying their retirement. Glad you're getting out there and having some fun. Thanks for posting.

Fronkey
    Thanks Fronkey. I am working toward it...enjoying the retirement. Still not entirely free of the job yet (workman's comp) and the road kit needs some refinement. Not to mention the rider is weak from two years of nothing but short commutes on the bike.

The thanks belong to the knowledge base here. Y'all have made the transition to hammock camping much easier and enjoyable. Kudos to the cottage industries I have sampled for gear that is pure custom and customer service well above the average.

The high country I normally moto camp in is going to be snowed in possibly until late June. When it opens I'll show y'all some pics of the areas West of the PCT.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-10-2011 at 22:48.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The night was more comfortable than any grond dwelling EVER and that includes cots. Learned lessons that are invaluable to pick up close to home.

Lessons;
    1-I need MUCH smaller packing stuff as the NR DW took almost all of one panier. Solution is a HG 3 season Incubator and Burrow (ordered) and AHE Toxaway + Shangri La tarps (in hand, Paul don't let the dust settle). I will also need to add some soft luggage.

2-I set the foot end a bit too low and the tarp was not placed to block the wind that robbed some insulation. Fortunately the NR DW is rated to zero and it never broke 45 degrees. The solutions are simple thanks to the knowledge base here.

Here are a couple of AM shots taken from the perspective of the left and right side of my hammock.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-10-2011 at 21:59.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Oh did I mention dinning out? Well after enjoying a hot mug of PG Tips with sugar and powdered milk from the hammock...thanks Shug...it was pack up and head to the Kernville Airport for breakfast of scrambled eggs and local made sausage while enjoying the radio chatter.

The next shots are from McNally's Fairview Lodge for dinner. Their Prime Rib was cooked to perfection as it normally is...the last shot is proof of how good this 24 oz (count dem ounces fellas!!!) PR was!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Next time I get to McNally's I intend to dine outside. Right here...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Looks like a good time. I'm hoping to head out for a similar trip in a few hours.
    Was there any GOLD in them there hills??? I like that area and volunteered for some TU work to save the natives in the Kern River system before moving out of CA.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    Looks like a good time. I'm hoping to head out for a similar trip in a few hours.
    Was there any GOLD in them there hills???
    Enjoy your ride! Gold? Yup there has been and still is...the problem is finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    What bike is that?
    It's an 09 BMW F800GS with some aftermarket stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    That view the good food now you got me thinking I should clean the 3 plus years of dust off my scoot. It sounds like hammocks and scoots work very well together thanks for sharing
    And I'm stricken with the backpacking reports now (always want what you can't have I guess) but for sure knock off the dust, change the tires, and add a new battery. There is no better way to explore the road than on a bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Glad to see you getting out! Nothing like a brew from the hammock....PG Tips are my favorite tea too.
    Whoooooo Retirement.
    Shug
    Whoooooo Buddy indeed! I set up the right side panier as my bear box and side table right by the hammock. Wake up, grab the tea kit, fire up the burner, and enjoy the song birds! Life is good when the morning begins outside to the sounds of nature and a warm hammock with hot tea! What y'all can't see (because I am too gimpy to bust over the rock trail) is the mighty Kern river, just beyond my first two shots. With Spring melt beginning in ernest it is really roaring right now so I set up farther away. The sound is pure relaxation to me...if not too close.

True mental laxative for a brain too full of "stuff". Like the Shug, I need a good lollygag on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-11-2011 at 11:38.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Law Dawg, great stuff! Thanks for sharin'.

The Kern River Canyon is a great ride.

I don't know why I didn't think to ask this before, but do you know a search-n-rescue guy with the sheriff's deparment named John? (Don't you love that uncommon name I gave you to comb for in your memory?) He has (had?) a blue and white 1150GS; he may have a 1200 now. He also has a beautiful Sunbeam Tiger.

Chris
    Last edited by Land; 04-11-2011 at 17:47.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Land View Post
    Law Dawg, great stuff! Thanks for sharin'.

The Kern River Canyon is a great ride.

I don't know why I didn't think to ask this before, but do you know a search-n-rescue guy with the sheriff's deparment named John? (Don't you love that uncommon name I gave you to comb for in your memory?) He has (had) a blue and white 1150GS; he may have a 1200 now. He also has a beautiful Sunbeam Tiger.

Chris
    Coming from the king of hammocking RRs I am humbled Chris, thanks. Sherman Pass and the areas available from it are my favorite local goaty/dirty moto camp rides but the Upper Kern Canyon (well OK even the Lower Kern) are good depending on how many flatlanders are up there.

S&R...John....ummmm nope, not even a slight clue. But then I have been out of the loop for a LONG time with injuries and inside work. Not to mention rather forgetful. In fact...what was I saying?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast