my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Most animals keep their distance from a fire or light... Its when the light goes out...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    as an avid hunter i will tell you that lights don't attract wildlife for the most part. most of the time wildlife will find you by smell. if your smell gets them curious then they will come in to investigate.

where this gets you in trouble is with bears, and not just any bear! if bears are not fed then they will shy away from human contact (if you don't belive me just try hunting one). if they have been fed by humans or allowed to feed in trashcans and the such (like in most national forrest parks and places like that) then they can become aggressive.

if your in an area with bears, use a bear bag. if your not then don't worry too much, we are pretty high on the food chain and the greatest predator to ever live and most animals know that.

(Lower Mainland) British Columbia, Canada
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBPro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I hear ya WWhermit.
    I always camp in bear country and it's always on my mind unless I'm out in the dead of winter and know they're hibernating, otherwise even during the day my eyes and ears are peeled for bears and at night it's even worse! Drives me crazy at times - especially since I've never seen one. My closest encounter was waking up by my own snoring and thought it was a bear growling! How's that for paranoia?!?! :s
    www.youtube.com/user/BCkayakcamper

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." ~Author Unknown

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    My closest encounter was waking up by my own snoring and thought it was a bear growling! How's that for paranoia?!?! :s

now that's funny!!
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Eh View Post
    I hear ya WWhermit.
    I always camp in bear country and it's always on my mind unless I'm out in the dead of winter and know they're hibernating, otherwise even during the day my eyes and ears are peeled for bears and at night it's even worse! Drives me crazy at times - especially since I've never seen one. My closest encounter was waking up by my own snoring and thought it was a bear growling! How's that for paranoia?!?! :s
    It's funny because I did that once camping in the White Mountains of New Mexico. Saw a bear on the way in, and dreamed about bears all night, slept horribly (Still a ground sleeper at the time), snored loud, and woke myself up thinking I was under attack. Glad I'm not the only one.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

(Lower Mainland) British Columbia, Canada
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBPro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    It was bloody frightening at the time, but looking back at it now, it is pretty funny!
    www.youtube.com/user/BCkayakcamper

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." ~Author Unknown

I was going to agree with lugnut, mostly light seems to be a curiosity for animals. It makes them take notice and wonder what they hell is that bright thing floating around the woods is? Light + human scent will usually make them scatter unless they are habituated. If habituation means people = food, then light + human scent will attract them, but the human scent or the scent of food that is the attractant. The light just lets them see better. So no light on its own won't attract bears, cougars, rabid moose, or vampire zombies (unless a mad scientist combines them genetically with moths).

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    I sometimes have the same thoughts. I like the safe feeling of a fire but hate that it ruins my night vision. Not being able to see past the glow of the fire can be scarier than no fire.

Speaking of fire....I would be more afraid of smoking your pipe while relaxing in a nylon hammock.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    NeoAir Trekker
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings AIO
    We've only had a problem with raccoons while camping in our trailer at a pretty nice state park campground in Oregon. Those crafty little stinkers didn't care if we were sitting by the fire and would wander right into our campsite. I even took to carrying a broom to the bathrooms with me in case one attempted a run on me. It didn't help that the woman in the party camping in the next spot over was FEEDING them! Her husband and father-in-law didn't even try to stop her. Now THAT was annoying.

I've also had buffalo hanging out in my campsite, but they were there when I arrived--probably enjoying the shade which was why I picked the spot. I just went about my business setting up my tent and they eventually meandered away as buffalo do...

Christina
    Don't mess with the Chief's wife!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast