Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Custom summer weight Jarbridge River

I just ordered a Jarbridge River with 3.0 oz Climashield.

I was looking for a summer weight UQ which I could use for 6-8 months of the year in northwest Florida. I have a nice down UQ from another vendor, which is great below 40°, but I wanted a synthetic to keep the CBS at bay above 45°. As an example, I often backpack in the winter. This past year I had nights in the 20s-30s in December and solidly in the 20s in January. Since then, it's been around 48°+ every camping night.

Though I have used my "winter" UQ for warmer temps, once it is above 50°, if I vent, I am risking exposure to bugs so I wanted something to keep snug at the more temperate ranges. I am hoping the synthetic will prove durable and effective in the environment whiere I exist.

Finally, I am hoping for something in the 11-12 oz range.

I have several trips planned in May (both static and backpack outings), so once I receive it I will have plenty of opportunity to report on how well it is working for me.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Smile Shipped

My new Jarbridge River is on the way. Can't wait! Should arrive tomorrow. Unfortunately, I will be out camping (without it ), but that's ok. I have another outing planned for two weeks from now, and then 2 more in May.

Expect a report on the 3.0 oz climashield soon...
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I received my tarp on Saturday last week. Unfortunately I was out hanging at a scout function, so I did not get to try out the new underquilt. But it is sharp! And I can't wait to try it out.

I hope to do a backyard hang tomorrow and have a report on this and a new custom tarp I ordered from a new vendor.

More to come.....

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Sounds great! Post pics

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I hope to do a backyard hang tomorrow and have a report on this and a new custom tarp I ordered from a new vendor.

More to come.....
    Maybe a comparison pic to show stuffed size too...please.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Will do, Law Dawg (ret).

I may have to put off my hang until Sunday night, so look for something more by Monday...

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Long overdue, but I finally am able to report on my new Jarbridge River.

I was looking for a quilt that I could use in the summer in Florida (and around) that would keep me warm from about 45º and up. I am working hard to lighten my load, so I was looking for something lighter than the standard Jarbridge River (30º and 17 oz). I spoke with Paul (several time over the course of 3 months) and he suggested the possibility of using 3.0 oz Climashield instead of the regular 6.0 oz as a way to save weight. I also liked the 7/8 length of the Jarbridge River, as it would offer better coverage than a 3/4 during the cooler evenings. Finally, I was really wanted to go with synthetic insulation as we have a very humid climate here.

I ordered the quilt on a Friday, and it arrived (clear across the country) on Saturday a week later. For a custom made quilt, I cannot imagine quicker or better service (thanks Paul)! When I opened it up, I was duly impressed with the quality. Certainly everything I expected from a quilt. The stitches were excellent and it was a thing of beauty in black.

It packs down small and weights a mere 13 oz. Look at the first attached picture.
    It shows (L to R): Noah 12, New Tarp, Nalgene, and Jarbridge River 3.0.
    I must add that the quilt will compress to a much smaller space, and yet I like the slightly oversided stuff sack.

But I knew I wouldn't have the chance to set it up for some time. Finally, last night, I got it hung (along with my new tarp). It hung very easily and simply. At first I thought I was going to need some of those triangle thingies, but I found the cinch strap at either end, which made snugging the ends easy. I was lucky enough to have my son (Smarticle) lay in it while I got the UQ all set.

When I came back out at about 10:30 that evening and hopped in the hammock, I was pleased to find that the Jarbridge River covered my nicely and completely. Until now, in warmer temps, I have been using my old DIY UQ, which, admitedly, has left something to be desired. Though it has kept me warm in temps as low as 30º (with supplemental insulation), even in cool conditions I usually end up with a cold spot somewhere on my back side, depending upon how I am laying. All night, I felt perfectly warm without any cool spot. Admitedly, the temp only dropped down to about 65º before sunrise, but it did an excellent job.

As much as I like my winter (3-season) down UQ, this will likely be my goto UQ for 8 months of the year. Thanks again Paul. Well done!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    That setup looks like a great place to be after a day of chasing Reds and Specks...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

• + New Posts