Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm a newb, but what about putting the pad IN the bag

I'm a complete newb to this hammock stuff. I just received an inexpensive hammock from Amazon yesterday. Thanks to Grand Trunk for having such a great little hammock for a guy to try at under 20 dollars.

It's 32 degrees out, the skies are clear and there is a beautiful half moon tonight. The wind is cycling up and down through the trees. I spent the last 20 minutes getting situated in the Ultralight, with an Exped Synmat 7 pump and a 20 degree Ledge bag.

The pad is VERY deflated -- from what I gathered from reading here it needs to be. After popping off of it over and over again while getting 'centered' I had the crazy idea to slide it INSIDE my sleeping bag.

It works GREAT!

It's right where I want it to be, I can feel warmth radiating from my backside, and it's not slipping/popping any more. ...and just now my dog came to visit, and is wanting to get in! DOWN BOY -- NO DOGS IN HAMMOCKS.

I'm going to post this, close the lid, and settle in for a bit. See you guys in the morning. I'm still learning, but I can already see why you guys do this weird tree hangin' stuff.

G'night John Boy.
    Are you a Grizzleman?

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    I'd say that it's fine if it works for you

There's no wrong or right way to accomplish your goal as long as you're comfortable and safe.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Let us know how it goes. Like bZ said, if it works for you...

If you're not familiar with them, Big Agnes sleeping bags do what you're proposing but in their case there's no insulation in the under side of the bag. Just a slot into which you slip a pad.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Update. After about an hour, I could start to feel cold air under my butt and shoulders. Because I had to run the pad so deflated, all of the air got squished out from my heavier parts and ended up inflating the pad under my feet.

That meant the insulation was squished as well.

You hammock guys have this stuff figured out. I now know why you sell the underquilt idea so hard -- it can't get squished at all. A pad sleeve underneath the hammock is also an alternative. That would basically mean sewing something underneath to hold the pad in place?

But other than the cold, the comfort was quite good. I will admit, the first time I got situated, closed my eyes I thought, "this rocking back and forth junk is going to get old." But after a couple of minutes, you stop the pendulum thing and are able to be still. Interestingly enough, I found that it gave me a sensation I've never really experienced before that I can remember. That feeling of rocking back and forth was a primal thing or something I can't quite put into words. Almost like a deep drunken slumber pulling on my consciousness to 'come and sleep'? Roll eyes into back of head sort of good feeling? I didn't like the feeling at first, and will admit being put off by it. After laying there a while, rocking, I came to really enjoy it.

Suspension. Got to address the suspension. It's not super hard to make adjustments, but what they give you is a couple loops of rope, with overhand knots tied at different intervals to hook onto. You wrap the rope around a tree in a lark's head, hook to a knot on the dangling end. Adjusting means tying another overhand knot elsewhere on the rope. Lots of tying and untying of a knot that has been pulled TIGHT by having lots of weight on it.

Thanks for the sounding board!
    Are you a Grizzleman?

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    DOWN BOY -- NO DOGS IN HAMMOCKS.
    poor doggie, let him/her join u in the hammock!!!

welcome!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Try a CCF pad in your bag. It won't compress anywhere, so will work well. Just $6 from WW.
    Re suspension. CHange the stock ASAP, mine stretched to almost breaking in no time. You also need tree straps. I'm replacing the stock cords with amsteel, 22 cents a foot from West Marine.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Try a CCF pad in your bag. It won't compress anywhere, so will work well. Just $6 from WW
    Wallyworld also sells a 24" wide by 72" long waffle blue pad for $13 if you need something a litle wider and it weights 14/15 ozs.. I find a pad works best in a double layer hammock as the double layer helps to keep it from sliding, does not stop it but keeps it place good enough for me so far.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hey there! I'm a noob too! And I also after asking lots of questions here and getting a chance to meet a couple of members out in the woods to try out their gear.. ended up getting an GT UL! I actually bought 2 thinking I could just make it a double layer myself if I want to pop a pad in.. and actually works! I hooked the underneath hammock onto the top hammock and was able to slide a pad in. I tried both a CC pad I already had (but it's a shorty and a little bulky so not ideal) and also my yoga mat. Found the yoga mat to be most comfy but would like to get something similar a little wider. I think my yoga mat is made of of the micro CC so I saw links on here for buying that stuff to make my own pads.. you can get it really wide so it will def stay in the hammock and also helps extend the sides out. I found my mats stayed in place though in the layers but didn't give the coverage I wanted esp. since I tend to move around a lot to change positions.. (just the type of sleeper I am!).. so.. I haven't ordered that foam yet since I also tried rigging up my diff sleeping bags under me to make my own underquilt set up and actually did find that to be quite warm and cozy. I liked draping the excess over me and thereby having a top and bottom quilt in one but also tried one under and over and that was really good too. The down bag was def better in this weather (though it was still mild out when i tried but maybe in upper 50s or less) than the synthetic bag I have. But as I am about to test all this out in the tropics (where I will be at enough elevation for it to drop down to mid-low 60s at night) so I am thinking of cutting a cross in the bottom of my synthetic bag (as one poster mentioned on another thread) and then slipping the bag around the hammock and adding tags at the top and bottom to tie it to the hammock.. also leave the option to zip it up over you like another person mentioned he did...

So I am not sure about getting a pad for this trip as I am trying to keep the size of my pack down, so will work on my UQ mods I think.

Also wanted to add that I tried someone's Agnus Bag with a pad in it and it felt really cozy but then I didn't stay long enough to see if it would get cold after a bit like you mentioned happening..

Anyway, hope this helps! Happy hanging!

PS- I am also considering using the second hammock as a shelf under my primary one if I don't need it for a pad. AND I decided to get a 3rd so that I can have that to use separately as a day lounger on my trip since the one dedicated for sleeping with a have a bug net around it (got the ENO) and tarp over it and sleeping bag and other stuff all in it.. so I figure they are so cheap why not get a spare to just hang in unencombered (sp??_)) when the weather permits.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    If you are going to use a pad, I second the CCF. While I like my UQ's, I am still partial to ccf for when the mercury really starts to drop. And yes, the double bottom hammocks make the pads very easy to use. Your solution of putting the pad inside the bag is also a good one. For CBS (cold butt syndrome) carry a ccf sit pad and if needed slide it under your butt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast