DWR vs Calendered ripstop?

Can someone tell me the difference?
    I thought DWR was a finish applied to one side of the fabric, like a scotch guard, and calendered was a heat roller treatment that treats both sides of the fabric?
    Is that the case?

Are both types of these 1.1oz/yard fabrics down proof?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You have it correct up to both being down proof....that's a maybe maybe not kinda thing. Calendered can also be treated with a DWR, you need calendering to make the fabric down proof but un-calendered fabric could be treated with a DWR also.

And of course other weights of fabric beyond 1.1 can be calendered or treated with DWR as well. So just because you have one feature----DWR, Calender or 1.1 does not mean you have the others. If you are trying to order fabric for a project work with someone that knows what they have and can answer the questions for you, if they can't then look else where.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    You have it correct up to both being down proof....that's a maybe maybe not kinda thing. Calendered can also be treated with a DWR, you need calendering to make the fabric down proof but un-calendered fabric could be treated with a DWR also.

And of course other weights of fabric beyond 1.1 can be calendered or treated with DWR as well. So just because you have one feature----DWR, Calender or 1.1 does not mean you have the others. If you are trying to order fabric for a project work with someone that knows what they have and can answer the questions for you, if they can't then look else where.
    +1 on that.

Fronkey

Makes sense, but let me ask this.
    In this example, http://www.questoutfitters.com/uncoated_fabrics.htm#1.1 UNCOATED RIPSTOP
    the fabric is 1.1oz dwr coated ripstop. It is advertised as downproof so I guess it is also calendered?
    Thanks!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Would have to be calendered to be labeled as down proof.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm going to go out on a limb here - this is just my opinion - so take it for what it's worth:

When using the high quality 800 or 900 fill power down that is so common in our DIY projects, I don't think it matters if the material is down proof or not. The usual nylon and polyester fabrics we use have a tight enough weave, and there are so few feathers or quills in the down, that it won't leak through. I think you would be more likely to loose a piece of down through a seam hole than through the actual fabric weave.

Anyone else feel the same?

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I agree with Jerry to a point......

The pinfeathers that work their way through the ripstop are fewer in the high quality down as you note.

But in the late 70s I had a Stephensons Warmlite bag that was sewn out of material that had apparently not been properly calendared. As down is repeatedly compressed some of the individual barbules (sp?) break off and become almost useless in terms of insulating value. They had a habit of working through the highly porous shell and attaching themselves to my beloved Peter Storm oiled wool sweater. I looked to be feathered, but not tarred!

But now that I have a TQ and UQ from Hammock gear I do not see any similar down migration. Must be the down quality.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    incubator & burrow
    Suspension
    webbing straps

contradictions

"Makes sense, but let me ask this. In this example, http://www.questoutfitters.com/uncoated_fabrics.htm#1.1 UNCOATED RIPSTOP the fabric is 1.1oz dwr coated ripstop. It is advertised as downproof so I guess it is also calendered?
    Thanks!"

Quest Outfitters has contradictions in their description. They describe their 1.1 oz fabric as uncoated under the heading, and that sounds reasonable based on the weight. Coated fabrics are heavier.
    Calendared fabrics are NOT coated. They are generally folded in half and sent through rollers (top & bottom) under both heat & pressure. That closes the spaces between the fibers, but does not make it waterproof, or water resistant. Calendared nylon might pass a short time cup test, but if you touch the fabric at all the water will pass through quite easily. WR or WP can only be achieved through coating- either PU (heavy and available) or silicone (light & flammable)
    Hope this helps

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i know this is an old thread, but hammocks from calendared or unclaendared? i look to buy some stuff from RSBTR, but i want to be sure im making the right purchase...
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If for a hammock unclaendared IMO.
    HyperD 1.6oz is my favorite.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts