Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

Question HH ridgeline

I've searched the site and thought I remembered a thread about cutting the HH ridgeline so you could use it upside down in the winter without the bugnet soaking your face with condensation when you get up in the morning. Couldn't find anything about it so here it goes. Can it be done and what are the drawbacks to cutting it and using biners to re hook it for summer use?

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I've been wondering about this myself, TD...

I would also like to know more of the specifics, since I don't know anything about how exactly this should be handled...

Ok you experts.... your students are ready for lessons...

Perkolady

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I modded my HH ULB that way. I cut the ridge, added a piece to lengthen it some (it was a little short from the factory), and added a 'biner so I could attach/remove it whenever. Works fine, just make sure you get a 'biner that can take ~ 300 lbs. of tension.

I wouldn't SLEEP on my hammock that way. Not for any long period of time. I don't flip it over; I just undo the ridge, fold it like Hennessy recommends, and lay on top of the folded nylon and bugnet. Most of the load is on the nylon that way. However, flipping it or not folding it first would put too much tension on the bugnet I think. Don't want to rip that.

It works great for sitting/lounging though. Gets rid of the 'bending over because of the ridgeline in your neck' problem when sitting. And gives you a little more comfort/freedom for lounging.

I think Jeff has pix of the mod on his site.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Until we hear from the pros....here's some questions I want answered:

1. What is the effect on hammock sag when the ridgeline is not used? It is obviously the way you tie the ends up that dictate the sag?
    2. I can see that the ridgeline has to be properly re-connected to provide the proper sag for summer use. Is biners the best way to go?
    3. How should you tie up the bugnet from hanging on the ground? I was thinking of sewing velcro tabs on each side of the hammock that would hold in up.
    4. What to do with the ridgeline itself? Maybe just wrap it around the end of the hammock to get it out of the way?

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I'm 5ft tall, 118lbs....
    Would I still need a really hefty 'biner? What about one that's rated to let's say, 200 lbs.?

I would also like to know, whereabouts do you cut the line?

I can tell I will need a 10 step program before too long ...

Perkolady

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    First of all, the HH bugnet is cut to the shape of the hammock when the ridgeline is connected...so the length of the bugnet is much less than the length of the hammock body, and you can't really flip it over like with other models. I think Coy Boy did this, but his hammock was made funny to begin with. So unless your bug net is longer than it's supposed to be, I wouldn't plan on flipping it over.

Where to cut - wherever is most convenient for you to disconnect/reconnect. Probably just inside the entry slit.

Because the bug net is shaped, it won't hang on the ground so you don't need to tie it up.

On a HH, the ridgeline sets the sag. Remove the ridgeline, and the sag becomes variable depending on how you tie it to the trees. So it would still be possible to hang it with the same sag if you wanted to fidget with it. Otherwise, if it's hung properly w/ the ridgeline connected and then you remove it, the hammock body would lengthen, stretching the bug net a bit. Finding a comfortable way to lounge w/o stretching the bug net might require a quick re-tie of one end.

The best way to connect depends on how good you are with knots and how much of a gram weenie you are. Biners are very easy, but there are several knots that would also work. My favorite is the trucker's hitch. Cheap Home Depot D-rings would work fine, too.

If I were gonna use a biner, I'd probably feel comfortable with a rating of 200-300 lbs...but I'm not a climber or structural engineer or anything so take that for what it's worth.

The biggest benefit I see to making a removable ridgeline is that you can set the amount of sag for yourself if you don't like how HH did it. This can be a big benefit...a 4" difference in ridgeline length can really affect how the hammock lays. Also, removing the ridgeline makes the HH easier to use as a lounger b/c it's not poking you in the back of the head when you sit down, and you can lean back further...just be careful to avoid stressing the bug net too much when you lean back.

Just my thoughts after seeing two folks do this...I've never cut mine and don't plan to. It takes 10-15 minutes to make a homemade hammock for winter camping...and that's a bug net and biner less weight/bulk to carry.

YMMV - do whatever works for you. Blackbishop seems happy with his setup. Pics of his mod here.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

Wink

After reading your comments Jeff...I believe I agree with you...not to cut the ridgeline. A winter hammock would be easier to deal with. Thanks for everyone's input on the subject.
    TDW

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Well, no WONDER I couldn't find anything about this...

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

I DO have a HH without netting already, that I usually do most of my cold weather experimenting with, but I was wondering if I could somehow go without using the net on my ULAsym.

It sounds like it'd be fun to try making my own hammock...

Ut-oh.... somebody stop me !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all,
    Perkolady

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i removed the netting & added a sm binner to the ridge line on a friends HH.
    also, a fellow hammocker by the name t-back did the same w/ his HH.
    both seem to be working fine. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    It sounds like it'd be fun to try making my own hammock...
    Well...how convenient. I just now posted a How to Make a Hammock.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast