WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing

Hammock problems for a newbie

I received a new Hennessy Explorer Deluxe a couple of days ago and I had a few issues with it. Firstly, when trying to exit, I could barely get the bottom seam open and it bit hard on my legs until I could get my weight off the hammock. Is there a trick to preventing this? Next, I found it very difficult to position myself in it. Once I am in, I seem to be stuck in that place. Also, it seems rather small (I am 6'2"). When I tried to lay on the diagonal, my feet and head were touching the net. Lastly, it seemed rather hot in there. I am planning a trip to Sam Houston National Forest next month and I get the feeling that I won't get a wink of sleep from the heat. What do you do to stay cool in your hammock? Also, will mosquitoes get you through the bottom?

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    When new, the Velcro in the bottom entry can be pretty tenacious and as you've discovered it wants to stay closed until you get the weight off the hammock and that doesn't happen until your feet hit the ground. Not much to suggest there other than "you'll get used to it."

The Explorer is one of the bigger hammocks out there so maybe it's just a matter of adapting to a different type of shelter. I'm also 6'2" and like the Explorer but yes, as with many hammocks, you may be touching the netting.

Netting on any hammock slows air movement and makes it warmer inside. A plus for most of us most of the year but in hot weather it can be a problem. Not a lot you can do about it. Some people use battery powered fans hung from the ridgeline.

To avoid having skeeters bite you through the hammock, apply permethrin to it. You'll find a lot on permethrin if you do a search.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Possible problems:

I discovered that if the hammock (also an Explorer) is pitched too tightly you will have trouble getting the velcro to release with your heel AND you will have an uncomfortable lay in the diagonal. Pitching with the suspension lines at 30 degrees from level cures both problems for me.

Jim

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I experienced the same issues with the velcro entrance and everything seeming a bit scrunched my first hang with the HH Explorer Deluxe.

I do suspect that my angle was off....too tight in fact.

I'll definitely try to hang a little looser on my next try and see if this alleviates these problems for me.

One thing I'm curious about...I also used the HHSS on my first hang, and suspected that part of the reason that there didn't seem to be much room was that the HHSS might have been pulling the sides in slightly...Redrob, were you using the Supershelter undercover at all when you had these issues, or did you have any kind of underquilt at all?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing
    No underquilts in Austin, Texas except in January I will check to see if I strung it too tightly. Is the thirty degree angle supposed to be for a loaded or unloaded hammock?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    It took a few hangs to get used to mine. I ended up shortening the ridgeline length a few inches and it made me more comfortable. As stated earlier, you will get used to exiting and entering. I use my heel to push through the velcro. When it was new, I had to run my heel up and down the velcro to get it to let go.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing
    Well, I just in from my first night out in my hammock. Thanks to you guys I got the hang right. The trees I was attaching it to were rather far apart and I had to put the tree huggers pretty high up in the tree to get a 30 degree angle. My only problem was that it was cool last night (probably the last time this year until next fall) and I had to go back in the house (I strung it up in the backyard) for a couple of blankets and a foam pad. Except for that, I slept pretty well, unlike last weekend with the cubscouts in a tent, but that was more of a humidity problem than anything.

Now, I just have to figure out how to go camping with my sons and use it because they will be frightened during the night if they can't touch me. Time for them to man up

Now to search for information about pads...

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Glad to hear that you are sorting things out!

Hammocks deliver a wonderful comfort level but require a bit more futzing about than a tent and pad. Getting the hang angles and tension just so takes experience, and even then I find myself fiddling about.

Sounds like you are on your way! But I don't have a good suggestion for your sons.

Jim

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I bought my son a tent to call his own. It's a $30 tent from Target, but his and he loves it. We went to a state park the first time out and got him set up. Not a single issue with him. He's the type that got scared closing his bedroom door in the night. With the tent, it's different. He says it makes him feel like a big boy to have his own sleeping quarters. Hope it works out for you.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Just my opinion...but a pad works just fine around here..year round.
    As it warms up.I hang a 6 dollar fan from.Walmart on the ridge line...

Academy has a Magellen mummy self inflating pad thst fits great for the diagnal lay.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast