Images

Total Lunar Eclipse on Wednesday

From the NASA website at http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...nareclipse.htm

On Wednesday evening, February 20th, the full Moon over the Americas will turn a delightful shade of red and possibly turquoise, too. It's a total lunar eclipse—the last one until Dec. 2010.

The Sun goes down. The Moon comes up. You go out and look at the sky. Observing the eclipse is that easy. Maximum eclipse, and maximum beauty, occurs at 10:26 pm EST (7:26 pm PST).
    Who will be watching it from the comfort of their hammock?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    10:26 EST, that's easy enough. thanks for pointing that out.
    i'm going to try to remember to do that.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That's cool. Thanks for the post. Hope the weather will cooperate. Shucks...just checked. Cloudy.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Cool beans. I just got a Canon Rebel XTI DSLR camera. I have wanted one for years and I bought it right before my heat pump went out. I almost had to take it back. I still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles. There was a beautiful moon-bow last night and I wish I had read up on my night photography so I could have gotten a pic of it. Maybe the weather will cooperate and I can get a pic of the eclipse.

Are any of you guys photographers and can give me some pointers on taking a pic like that?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Are any of you guys photographers and can give me some pointers on taking a pic like that?
    A tripod (or other secure mounting rig) is necessary, and it wouldn't hurt to use a timer, or remote, to trigger the shutter.

Long shutter times are needed, obviously. Start with about 2 seconds and go from there.

The aperture you use will depend on your lens. For most prosumer stuff, try a setting of about 5.6

Medium ISO values will be fine for such a long shutter speed. You shouldn't have to go above ISO 600, but I'd start at ISO 400.

If your camera has any exposure bracketing capability, that will make all this very very easy. Just use these settings as a guideline, and let the camera take a series of photos at different exposures.

Good Luck!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I do have a tripod and I have the parts and will soon finish building a DIY remote with a toggle switch that is supposed to hold the shutter open until the toggle is flipped off. The toggle switch in the DIY remote is there for night photography.

I have an 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens. Best choice?

I don't know about exposure bracketing. I'll read through the manual and see. Thanks for the tips.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have an 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens. Best choice?
    It depends on what you want in the frame. If you're trying pics of a swath of the night sky, use the 18-55. If you want a closer crop of the eclipse itself, use the 75-300 zoom.

I mentioned the lens when I spoke about aperture because many lenses are variable aperture (their max is different at differing zoom levels). So, if your lens has an aperture limitation at a given zoom, you'd wind up using a longer shutter speed to compensate. For learning this, you should use the Shutter priority mode of your camera. That will let you choose the shutter speed, and the camera will then choose the rest of the exposure settings for you. Then, you can look at the images you take (and the exposures settings used for them) to get a feel for what you need in different situations.

BTW, I'm not a photographer. But, I've been an amateur shutterbug for a few years.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 02-17-2008 at 11:19.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Angry Sparrow...you have a new Avatar. Nice.

Images
    Hmm. Anyone up for going to RRG, KY on Wednessday to watch this? Should be a nice spot to get away from the city lights.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Hmm. Anyone up for going to RRG, KY on Wednessday to watch this? Should be a nice spot to get away from the city lights.
    That would be really nice. Unfortunately, it will be the backyard for me with bright lights and the neighbors' barking dogs.

• + New Posts