Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA

Layering two summer quilts?

I have a JRB Stealth and a AHE Owyhee 1S - both summer quilts, stealth is down, owyhee is climashield. Has anyone ever layered two summer quilts for cold (30 degree) temps. I was thinking about putting the climashield over the down. Basically using the down stealth as a inner bag because it is smaller than the owyhee.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    I have a JRB Stealth and a AHE Owyhee 1S - both summer quilts, stealth is down, owyhee is climashield. Has anyone ever layered two summer quilts for cold (30 degree) temps. I was thinking about putting the climashield over the down. Basically using the down stealth as a inner bag because it is smaller than the owyhee.
    I have a quilt good to 30 degrees. When it is going to be colder than that I will layer a lite weight climateshild quilt over it. I've been out into the teens and it seemed to work. YMMV

I would suggest you try it at home first, that way you can bail if it doesn't work. I tend to test these things at home to see just how far I can go with different setups and still get a night's sleep. (And then try to stay 10 degrees above that when away from home.)

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Sure, layering works. Depending on the degree of size difference between the quilts, you might want to put the down quilt on top so it can loft more. Try it both ways.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Well is too late to try it now - its upper 80s here already. Just pondering the possibilities of my quilt collection.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Definitely consider layering the down on top of the synthetic, as the down is more easily compressed in most cases.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    the outer/upper quilt will slide around some,so tuck the outer under you well. foot box should be fine, maybe a little less foot room.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    in my guesstimate, if it's all down then the loft is the determining factor. eg by stacking the shenandoah (1.5")+hudson river(2.5")=4"=0f, according to pan, which is the rating for jrb mw4 (also 4"). combining diff materials might change the rating (but how exactly? - i dunno; have no cs gear)... i would measure the two lofts to get a ballpark idea and then test it in the wild (backyard that is :-)

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This past winter I used my 3 season Yeti under quilt with my JRB Hudson River over the top of the Yeti. It worked great. Everything snugged up fine and stayed in place. I was pretty happy with the way it performed. I used the set up two nights on the MN Frozen Butt Hang in -15F although I used a pad in addition as well. I used the same setup without the pad on another overnighter where the low temp only got to about 20F and I was actually too hot. It may not be as ideal as having a separate winter under quilt but since I don't do a lot of winter camping it made sense to try and use what I had rather than spend extra money on a new quilt that would see little use.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    This past winter I used my 3 season Yeti under quilt with my JRB Hudson River over the top of the Yeti. It worked great. Everything snugged up fine and stayed in place. I was pretty happy with the way it performed. I used the set up two nights on the MN Frozen Butt Hang in -15F although I used a pad in addition as well. I used the same setup without the pad on another overnighter where the low temp only got to about 20F and I was actually too hot. It may not be as ideal as having a separate winter under quilt but since I don't do a lot of winter camping it made sense to try and use what I had rather than spend extra money on a new quilt that would see little use.
    Thanks, pizza! That's just the idea I needed to solve my "I want a full length quilt in addition to my 3/4 without shelling out for a winter only version." More usefulness and options, I like.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies

layering definitely works

I made it down to 1.6 F at the Higher and Colder Hang at approx 6200 ft elev. in Feb 2011.

I used a 3S Phoenix with 900 down layered with two ccf pads. On top I used two Coleman synthetic 30 F bags. I had heavy wool socks and mid-weight baselayer tops and bottoms.

I was very warm, but I am somewhat a warm sleeper.

• + New Posts