Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

DIY Karo Quilt questions

I am about to get started on working on my karo quilt and like alot of people here i am measuring and calculating not 1 or 2 or 3 times but 50ish. I really dont want to mess this up. Here are a the questions that arose and my specs that i have some up with.

Specs:
    H - 80in
    WH - 52in
    WF - 40in

I am not sure about about the width, I am 6ft and 250lbs. Also I measured the width of my shoulders and its 55in. Do you guys think the top quilt is wide enough? I am not sure if i should be able to have is completely wrap around me.
    Also is the foot box too big? I wear size 12 shoes.

6in long baffles which are 2.5in high. For this i am using a 12in x 12in template to layout the pieces. This should put about 6in between each pc's neighbor.
    This should get me to 20 degrees and be a good 3 season bag. Will be using a down pillow with 750fill to fill the quilt.
    I am estimating about 12oz of down would be enough.

Will post pics as i get things on the way.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    No advice but A) are you going to MAJHHA? and B) will that TQ be finished so we can see it?
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMad2000 View Post
    I am about to get started on working on my karo quilt and like alot of people here i am measuring and calculating not 1 or 2 or 3 times but 50ish. I really dont want to mess this up. Here are a the questions that arose and my specs that i have some up with.

Specs:
    H - 80in
    WH - 52in
    WF - 40in

I am not sure about about the width, I am 6ft and 250lbs. Also I measured the width of my shoulders and its 55in. Do you guys think the top quilt is wide enough? I am not sure if i should be able to have is completely wrap around me.
    Also is the foot box too big? I wear size 12 shoes.

6in long baffles which are 2.5in high. For this i am using a 12in x 12in template to layout the pieces. This should put about 6in between each pc's neighbor.
    This should get me to 20 degrees and be a good 3 season bag. Will be using a down pillow with 750fill to fill the quilt.
    I am estimating about 12oz of down would be enough.

Will post pics as i get things on the way.
    Foot box is not too big - might even add a couple inches
    52"H should be wide enough but I would start the taper to the foot end just past where your elbows will be.

12 oz 750fp would not be enough in a 2.5 baffle for that size IMO. 14 oz would be about 20% overstuff. 12 oz is pretty close by the math but you are recycling the down so it probably would not be a true 750fp rating. Most vendors overstuff 20%-25% with new down. You could go with a 2" baffle and acheive about 20% overstuff with 12oz of 750fp down.

Most pillows have a high feather count and would not be the best choice for a quilt. You will have a lot of work in the quilt so I would suggest you verify that the pillow is really 750fp.

Good luck and post some pics when you are done.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    A) ???
    B) I am hoping to have it done by next weekend.

This weekend i am doing a 24mile day hike traverse. So next week i will have to let my muscles rest.

Also i am getting sick of the fabric and pillow mocking me when even i look over at them!!!

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Here is the pillow i got but mine was a king size and about the same price: http://cgi.ebay.com/My-Luxe-800-FP-W...item2eb48b15a2
    It is normally sold by blooming dales and puffs up VERY nicely but yeah i hope its true. Also i see that the pillow says 800 i say 750 to play it safe.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just had TeeDee compute the volume and fill.

Volume: 8120 cubic inches
    750 fp Needed down, 0% overfill: 10.8 oz
    with 10% overfill: 11.9 oz
    with 20% overfill: 13 oz

If your shoulders measure 55", I personally do not think the head end width is sufficient. If you have to go to ground for any reason, you will have a cold night. Ray Jardine (sp?) recommends measuring the width by laying on the floor on your side and measuring from the floor, up over your shoulder and back to the floor. That should be the width if you also have 6" draft stoppers. I highly recommend draft stoppers. They are very effective even in a hammock. We have found that measurement to be very good even in a hammock. Better to have a little more width than insufficient width. Again, we find the draft stoppers to be almost essential, just our opinions though.

So if you go with 55" head end width, then

Volume: 9500 cubic inches
    750 fp Needed down, 0% overfill: 12.7 oz
    with 10% overfill: 14 oz
    with 20% overfill: 15.2 oz

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I did the laying on my side test and it came to 48in. So i am going to stick with the 52 since in a pinch i could go to ground with the quilt and a pad and be fine. Right now when i use my sleeping bag as a quilt i am usually touching a good portion of the pad with my back or stomach.

Since this is my first bag i am giving myself alot of fudge area. 2in on the height and width. This puts my pattern size around 82"x54"x44"

Has anybody used High End pillows for quilts? I know feathers will bleed out easily but i have been using a smaller pillow on my bed and have had VERY little down bleed. My "cheap" pillows have bleed alot more.

• + New Posts