Quote Originally Posted by froldt View Post
I was tired of waiting and decided to try the cheap route. I purchased a handy-stitch sewing machine thingie at Wal-Mart for about $16. Of course, I could only get it to sew for about an inch before it would quit pulling thread. Or it wouldn't sew at all, only stab holes in the fabric (glad I tested it first...).
The plan was to use it and return it, but I'm just going to have to return it!

Likewise, s62w23098, I could have hemmed my two hammocks up by now by hand, but I know that stitching some 33 ft of hems just doesn't appeal to me. Especially after about a foot into it. *sigh*

So, I'll have to return my el-cheapo machine (which I think has already been returned, based on the included batteries that aren't supposed to be there) and either chase down the theater's costume making workroom or wait till I can nab my sister's machine.
Alas, if only patience were a virtue that I possessed!
I saw those too, and thought about it. You just saved me the hassle.

Trying to do a rolled hem with a machine that jams every 6th stroke is very frustrating, especially with sil slipping around on you. I'm not going to give up on it. I really envy those of you who are great at machine sewing - it's a lot harder than it looks. I have all these ideas running through my head of things I want to make, and tons of fabric, and I can't sew a simple seam!