Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

4 season hammock options

I've been looking at hammocks for a bit and am looking very hard at a Clark NX-250 + z-insulator as a year round shelter but just want to make sure I don't overlook any of my options.

Are there any other 4 season hammocks you'd recommend?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It's not so much the hammock as it is the insulation you use. You can use a simple nylon gathered end hammock year round as long as you have enough under and top insulation. Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, Jacks R Better, Arrowhead Equipment are a few vendors that offer 4 season underquilts and top quilts. Combine those with other insulation such as a thermarest, an old down sleeping bag for a top quilt and proper clothing and you can be warm and toasty even in really cold temperatures.

My first winter hang a while back I used an ENO Double Nest clone, a Jacks R Better Underquilt I borrowed (thanks Dan8tro) and a borrowed military down sleeping bag on top (thanks [o]TTer) and I slept the whole night. The temp got to around -11 degreed celsius.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    for the price of the clarks and the liner you could get a full setup from the vendors ....

you could get a WBBB a oes tarp and a UQ and TQ for the same price as the clarks and the liner .. the WBBB is the best hammock you can get if you ask me and a good UQ like the yeti will work with any hammock unlike the liner for the clarks ... just something to think about
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Welcome to H F, Element! You made a good choice with the 250. I would advise getting the Vertex tarp, since it's bigger. Admittedly, being a Clark NX 150 owner, I'm prejudiced toward their products. A word of caution: reading H F can get expensive, due to all the really useful things you find you suddenly "gotta have"

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    In cold weather a bugnet is just a frost trap, and I would not recomend one for below freezing
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Thanks for the replies!

@Bubba
    I've been reading a lot about quilts and needing various over/underquilts but it seems to me that they would add a significant amount of weight to the overall package and really constrict your range/movements inside the hammock. Is this true?

Also I'm always a bit leery of important things being held together with velcro I have this horrible vision of a bad storm ripping off the underquilt somehow if it's outside the hammock . A stupid thing I know, but I have to ask, how strong are the underquilts, and do they collect water in between you and the hammock?

If this makes no sense it's because I'm under the impression an UQ is essentially a sleeping bag you wrap around the bottom part of the hammock to prevent heat loss from the passing air underneath.

@GLP

I've looked at the Blackbird but it seems...simple. As in it has nothing to cover the mosquito netting if it rains and can't go to ground. Am I missing something?

@ice man

Yeah, I am a bit gear queer so I'm going to have to control my urges while I'm here. No more then half of my monthly income is my rule and I'm sticking to it!

...but that looks really useful, I'm sure it will pay for itself quickly

Also I've read a lot of people recommending the Vertex. Does it really make that big of a difference when you'e in the tarp or does it just provide a nice little space to sit under if it's raining?

@TZBown
    Ok, but what are the practical implications of that? I thought all hammocks had bugnets nowadays?

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by element View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

@TZBown
    Ok, but what are the practical implications of that? I thought all hammocks had bugnets nowadays?
    The drawback to frost on you net is that is will fall off on you and your gear and end up adding moisture to all of it. Not a good thing in cold weather.

Some hammocks can be without bugnets or have removable ones. If you do the DIY route you can make a bunch of different types, for every need and to loan to all of your friends.

It just means, if you are going to camp in all seasons you will end up with a bunch of different gear that you will use according to the conditons.

Welcome to the Forum, Let the gear addiction grow

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by element View Post

I've looked at the Blackbird but it seems...simple. As in it has nothing to cover the mosquito netting if it rains and can't go to ground. Am I missing something?
    You are missing the tarp which is for keeping the rain off you and the hammock. The zipped over cover on the Clark isn't a rain shield. It's designed for holding in extra heat and cutting down on wind.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yes like pizza said .... you need a tarp no matter what hammock you get
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    yes I think clark's are great but for the money Id rather build another setup that will be twice as capable

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast